¤ Chapter Seven ¤

When situations didn't go right, I found solence in running away from them. Back in Nottingham, my problems had only doubled from my poor confidence in taking responsibility of them, and led me to a four-year fixated struggle from not only being poor, but also the enormous University debt. The weight from struggling led me into the arms of a plonker, who in the end destroyed the lot of that lasting confidence to keep fighting.

Now, here I am. Selling my soul just to get by... how things never change.

I sat quietly on the hotel bed crisscrossed with a small bowel of strawberries, a grilled chicken with raspberry sauce, and green beans. By this point I had lost my appetite, and only sat there stubbornly to piss off the demon in front of me who worked through my papers. My attention had been more fixated on trying to die by holding my breath- it would have been better then living a depressive life style, an utter robust side quest it seemed.

I was being dramatic, I knew, but my nerves and instinct had been haywire the day I met the Devil in Prada. The outcome of my situation was hanging by threads at this point, as well as my compliance. She hadn't been too terrible, but the few days before proved her true colors- and they weren't pretty. Ugly shades of grey seeped into my pores, into my brain, and stained my life.

I knew this wouldn't end well.

Life had taken one too many punches at me, however failed to kill me yet. I was tried of running. Of being a failure. Of being a victim to a vicious cycle.

However, I had to play along for the sake of surving for one more day, right?

This contract, dated on the 11 day of November in the year of 2007 is made between Édith Aurile Montgomery and Cassette Eliza Lynch of New York City, New York. This document constitutes as an employee and parental agreement between the two parties governed by the S.D.N.Y..

WHEREAS the Employer desires to retain the services of the Employee,a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶m̶p̶l̶o̶y̶e̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶i̶c̶e̶s̶, these terms and conditions are set forth.

Édith had her legs crossed, and black rimmed glasses on her nose with a pen gracefully sweeping across the documents. Watching her reminded me of exactly how I could never be anything more than a fun little experiment. She craved more than control, and would undoubtedly see to it that I was a puppet. Given- I wasn't exactly putting up a huge fight like I thought I would. Would it be easier to just give in and get it over with?

One more day.

IN CONSIDERATION of this mutual understanding, the parties agree to the following terms and conditions:

1. Employment
2. Position
3. Salary
4. Drug Testing
5. Background Checks
6. Withhold on Estate, and Property
7. Claim on Benefactors
8. Claim on Banking Information
9. Parental Rights
10. Insurance Rights
11. Healthcare Rights

With a sigh, she dropped her pen on the table and slammed her hand down making me jump. Édith watched me with hawk-like eyes, and switched legs- left over right. Blink. Sigh. And tossed her glasses down.

"Are you going to eat or sit there like a child? I can be here all day, my dear." I puffed out my cheeks and sourly rolled my eyes, not bothering to look up at her. "I thought with your experience and knowledge that you would know how to choose a proper meal." The condescending tone left a bitter taste in my mouth- the same tone in which broke me from inside.

Swallowing hard I said, "I like carbs," and stuffed a halved strawberry in my mouth just to make her shut up. Édith hummed and leaned forward, her blouse falling and showing the top part of her chest. A peak of her black bra made me feel like a real creep.

I looked away quickly and grew uncomfortable, however she noticed right away and smirked with a sticky smile of confidence.

"Tell me, Cass, exactly what else do you like?" The double meaning threw me for a spin as I almost choked. I refused to give her the satisfaction of being shy, but the burning sensation the ran up my neck and cheeks would tell a different story. No matter how I felt, my own body betrayed me.

"Uh, well, I uh," my head searched for anythingto get away from the question. "I like to not be threatened I guess. I like that very much actually." My accent only thickened, another nervous habit to downplay my sad attempts at being clever. My answer only made matters worse as I found myself trapped once again.

Édith held me in her gaze, her eyes seemingly even darker with competition. Leaning back, relaxed and unbothered, she held up the papers in one hand, a smile gracing her thin lips. "Once I get these into my lawyer tomorrow, you'll find that that tone of yours will only be met with punishment. And believe me, Cassette- I will have you on your knees begging before the end of next week."

_____________________________________

I thought I should upload so here it is! :) Thank you for all the amazing comments and votes- it means a lot to me.

Also, I hope all of you are being safe during this time❤