PROLOGUE

Mary Hopper stood in the Chief's office, staring at herself in the body length mirror with a shit-eating grin

      Mary Hopper stood in the Chief's office, staring at herself in the body length mirror with a shit-eating grin. Attached to the pocket on her denim shorts, was the Chief of Hawkins badge that glinted each time she swayed side to side and the lights from above reflected against it. On her other hip, was a holster with a pistol in it and on her head, the iconic Chief of police hat that her father had been putting on her head since she were little.

          She felt extremely confident in the getup—more than usual. But suddenly, the door to the office being flung open made her jump, "You're still here? Kiddo, you're gonna be late for work!" Jim Hopper exclaimed, his hand still on the handle whilst Mary scrambled to unhook the gun holster from her hip.

         She fumbled, dropping it to the ground and silence washed over the daughter and father duo as Mary looked up. Jim rose an eyebrow, pointing between the gun, his hat and his badge, "You're late because you were playing dress up?" He asked flatly, amusement written over his face and Mary snatched the hat off, pitting it onto his desk.

         "No!" She paused, "Okay, yes! But I have a reason! You never leave your stuff lying around and this morning... you did," She trailed off, looking innocently to the ground where her fathers gun lay. She shrugged, looking back up at him, "It was my only opportunity." She said, batting her long curled eyelashes; she was wearing a faint pinkish eyeshadow on her lids with black eyeliner that made her eyes pop.

         Her father chuckled, entering the room to collect his things. He picked his gun up and strapped the belt to his hip, "You'll get to have all of this soon, kid. You've just gotta be patient." He assured her, offering a Jim Hopper smile that wasn't really a smile and more of a half-hearted grimace.

        Mary scoffed, "Yeah, if douchebag the mayor ever allows it," She said with a bitter tone. Jim rolled his eyes, knowing the rant that was about to come next because he had been hearing it for weeks, "He's a sexist pig, you know? He hates women or something! Why else wouldn't he let me have an official job here at the station? Sexism at its finest dad, sexism." Mary said as she began collecting her things from the desk that consisted of a red backpack and a plastic lunch box.

       Jim grasped his daughters shoulders, leading her towards the door, hurrying her out since she was already running late, "Larry's a dick, but you'll win him over eventually. You're my daughter and you're stubborn as hell. Larry won't know what hit him." He assured her, guiding her through the office area. Mary stole an untouched half of a sandwich from Officer Callahan's table and the man let out a 'hey!' which she ignored and stuffed the sandwich in her mouth.

         She looked over her shoulder at her dad as he tried to get her towards Steve car that was parked at the steps waiting for her—like he had been for twenty minutes, "I'm not sure, dad. Has there ever even been a female Chief in Hawkins? Actually, don't answer that, I already know here hasn't been. And it's because of guys like him, stupid snobby and entitled son of a bitch Mayor Larry —"