Chapter II

⌯ ⌯ ⌯ ⌯ ⌯
Bill

It would seem, to most folks, that Bill was heartless, and that fact was 100% true. Even Bill knew that. It might have also seemed like he was trying to take advantage of the scarred boy known as Wirt. That was also true.

If any normal person were to examine Wirt, right then and there, they would have surely felt emotions such as pity and concern. A little boy, lost in a cold, strange forest, with nobody but his little brother, Greg, by his side. To a normal person, that would definitely permit a little bit of pity and a little bit more concern.

Wirt would have appeared frail and helpless, even in the eyes of someone who didn't know what was about to happen to him. The thing is, nobody—not even Wirt himself—knew what was about to happen.

Except for Bill. Bill knew that the boy and his broken soul would soon hold the key to this forest. The boy would soon become the forest itself. Bill felt that knowledge inside of him like a time bomb, slowly ticking away.

To help better clarify what Bill knew was going to happen: Wirt lost Greg in the woods, and he was about to try and save him by sacrificing his soul to the beast—the dark demon hidden deep within the confines of the woods. But the beast would trick him, and instead of saving Greg's soul, would steal Wirt's instead and trap it for all of eternity.

Bill was only tagging along for one reason. He wanted the forest. He needed it.

Because it held a power so unimaginable that even the immortal dream demon himself could barely begin to fathom it.

A thick energy of darkness. That's what it was. It floated through the air like a thick fog, leaked over the forest floor like a river, rose up between the trunks of the Edelwood trees and shone through the eyes of the beast. Bill could sense it as he blinked fluttering snowflakes out of his eyelashes. It was so noticeable to him, but not to anyone else. That was why Bill came here in the first place; he needed that weird energy for his apocalyptic plans.

Luckily, Cone Head could give him that energy. Once Wirt became the forest, the energy would flow through him, and Bill would have the chance to take it.

"Come on, Cone Head!" Bill turned around to shout at Wirt, who quickened up at his words.

The wind started to die down, the rushing gusts turning into tickling winds. The sunlight melted away and the stars rose with the darkness.

"He's just around this patch of trees," Bill said as they neared a small clearing.

"Oh, God, it's a mess over here," Wirt mumbled, stepping over fallen trees in search of his little brother. Bill just waited, his arms crossed over his chest. He anticipated the gasp of shock that would come when Wirt realized what kind of trouble his brother was in—

Wirt gasped. "Greg!"

Yep, there it is.

Dipper floated up beside Bill, confusion etched into his milky features. Bill saw the ghostly boy and looked over at him with a secretive smirk. "What's the matter, Pine Tree? Confused that I actually took time out of my day to help someone?"

Dipper's face began to change. "Actually, no. I think you're trying to get him on your good side."

"Are you trying to say that I'm manipulating him? Pfffft, I would never."