Part 18

As billies emotionally exhausted body hit the floor she sat in a crumbled mess;tears covered her face,her hair was a mess,scattered across her face and shoulders.John stepped away from billie who was currently sat at his feet in front of him,his face in shock at his sister.

No one had spoken a word the only sound was Tommy pouring himself a whiskey and the silent weeping of the broken mess that was billie.

She wasn't just crying because of what her brother had just done but she was crying at the events that had taken place over the last 2 days.Feeling ill,throwing up,discovering she was pregnant,Tommy finding out,being called a 'whore',her outburst at the pub,telling grace and finally only 3 hours ago where she had rid of her 'fault'.

30 seconds had gone by since Tommy dropped the shell,and the dust began to settle.

Polly who had sat down due to shock now looked to billie with sympathy,understanding the humiliation she would feel being pregnant at 16 like she once had been and the confusion and feeling of alone she would be experiencing.And surprising to Tommy, Polly's anger didn't sit with Billie but with Tommy himself.

"Nothing ...nothing to say at all Pol?"Tommy broke the silence as he drank the last of his whiskey.His words indicated that he felt no remorse for what he had just done-his anger filled 'out burst' ,you could call it ,that seemingly just broke his sister's heart and hurt her ,breaking the trust between them full forcingly , did not show any regret and continued to rush within his veins.

This happened often with Tommy,much like it had with his father.His rage over took everything else,it wasn't a physical rage as that only occurred when he was fighting amongst 'enemy' as he put it.But a verbal rage and a look that appeared in his blue eyes that proved he had reach a point of no return and had left his sanity behind in the mud of the war.

Polly's eyes were focused on Tommy now.And a similar look Tommy had was now seen in her. "Micheal go and help Billie" Micheal saw the look in his mother and knew what is meant,so he complied and reach his cousin who was a blubbering mess on the floor.
He held her arms,
"c'mon billie girl. ay,c'mon"
He spoke to her with a calm warm tone.Billie looked to him hearing the kindness in him,micheal pushed the hair from her face and wiped a tear. "come on" he repeated as he pulled Billie up to her feet.

"ay?"Tommy said in response to Pol.His face screwed up confused as to why Polly was showing his sister care and thought.

"Sit down luv"Polly spoke to Billie who shared a similar expression as tommy.She was unsure why Polly did not speak to her like tommy had,not branding her 'whore' or speaking down to her. Billie sat in what was Polly's chair at the table.

Arthur and John's reaction to this 'news' and Polly's 'kind' words were also ones of anger toward Billie and whatever boy this involves and also a need to join tommy in his rage,but they saw that polly was comforting Billie and chose not to join in with him and face her fire.

Pol stared tommy down.Yes the news had shocked her but she knew this was a time where you must be there for the young girl not have conflict with her.

"have you no shame Thomas" she snarled.

Tommy who was currently leant over the table with his hands placed firmly on it looking to Polly,replied by stepping away from it and screwing up his face.He couldn't understand-"you what?"

"Who do you think you are?"she continued.

"im guessing Thomas she didn't tell you,cause why would she.do you blame her?"she paused.Both John and Arthur looking between the 2 forces.

"the poor girl needs us now,she doesn't need you humiliating her."

"humiliating her?we are her family Pol!!"he screamed back.

"EXACTLY!WE ARE!"she challenged him further,he may be the 'leader' of the family on what he believed was his own accord,but he was only in the role because polly let him.She could easily put him in his place as she often did when he acted out of order or overstepped the mark,and today was one of those days.

"but thomas she didn't come to you did she? she didn't tell you.."  

"--polly please" billie injected sniffling as her tears began to stop.

"NO YOU DONT GET TO SPEAK" tommy snapped pointing his figure to her,this led to micheal placing his arm around billie as he knelt to her level as she sat.

"LISTEN TO ME! LOOK AT YOURSELF. NOW LOOK AT HER THOMAS" she ordered him. He didn't comply. "LOOK AT HER" she repeated.

"tommy" John said in a voice of warning. He was the more sensible of the three brothers when it came to family matters.He knew that polly had a tone that showed no sign in fading.

Tommy looked to Billie and finally saw the state she was in after constantly ignoring it during his episode.He saw her broken down body,he saw her paleness,her tired exhausted eyes and her tears stained cheeks. "That is because of you Thomas.That is all in fear of you.Her own brother. You've hurt her Thomas.When she needed you,when she needed us you rejected her.And now look" her toned calmed as she realised the further pain she was doing to Billie by shouting.

Tommy scoffed at his aunt,not believing her words.He didn't believe his little sister's state was down to him.

Billies P.O.V

I leant into micheals shoulder a i sat.Until i started to feel cramping in my stomach,like the woman had said. ' no please not now' i thought. I held my stomach as subtly as i could,so no one could see. However I let a quiet groan slip from my lips as my head turned further into micheal's shoulder. Micheal noticed this and clocked my hand gripping my stomach , "Billie?" He whispered.
I didn't reply instead my face screwed up even further.
/////
"Mum I think we should take Billie home" he announced to Polly. His request was subtle enough that no one questioned him as to why,they just believed he wanted to get Billie away from the arguing due to her mental state.

Polly agreed as her and tommy finally calmed down. Tommy sat himself in his chair and pulled out a cigarette.

Micheal helped Billie up and she quietly groaned .
Arthur hesitatingly walked over to Billie,and attempted to place his hand on her shoulder only for Billie to rip her shoulder from under his grip "get off me arth".Arthur realised the pain his sister was feeling and decided not to show offence ,however he still felt bad that he did nothing to help her.He simply stepped away from Billie with a look of sympathy for her.

Polly took Billie from micheals grip as they walked out of the hostile room and left the house. And they made their way towards Polly's,leaving tommy to rethink what he had done to his heartbroken little sister. However he too stood unaware of what she had been through just a few hours prior to his madness.