5 | 6

J A X O N

As we walked through the valley, I couldn't help but acknowledge the sense of deja vu that washed over me. Just a few short months ago, we'd been nearing the fortress through the forest, expecting to see the ruins that Delphinium had created. I still hadn't forgotten the wave of helpless fear I'd felt when we saw the massive edifice looming in the distance, fully intact and ready for war.

      But we weren't in the woods now. The seven of us trekked through a single valley that pierced the semi-flat plains surrounding the fortress. Far beyond the crater-like shape that Imperium's fortress was nestled in, the forest peeked over the cliff's edge.

      The fortress itself could barely be seen in the distance; Hunt's men were having a standoff at one of the checkpoints for the trucks transporting in supplies. It was quiet so far, but I knew it wouldn't stay that way.

Then, a few gunshots rolled out over the area. They were a way off, but we were getting close. My hand tightened on the gun I was holding. No matter how tumultuous things were with Benny, the tension in our crew, or Gigi's descent into madness, our primary issue was with Imperium. At first, I'd been a bit skeptical of Delphinium's idea to come here, but now that we were getting so close, I could feel the thrumming in my veins that I often got before a fight. I loved it, loved the adrenaline, loved the uncertainty.

I glanced over my shoulder to the rest of my team. They were armed to the teeth: Kane with the two broken pieces his spear—which seemed to function like a normal metal sword, Jake holding a gun in each hand, the others carrying countless other knives, daggers and firearms. As usual, I carried my own arsenal of dangerous weaponry in my backpack. Even if the others didn't have enough munitions, I had enough of my own creations to rearm them several times over.

Facing forward again, I followed behind Delphinium, who led the group. She was marching through the canyon—with purpose and suppressed rage—like a queen leading an army, knives gleaming at her sides. I knew from her body language that she was ready for this, maybe even more ready than the rest of us. It was clear that she wanted it more than anyone else.

      Another few shots rang out, much closer this time. We all tensed at the sound of staggering footsteps above the ravine before a body careened over the side and fell into the middle of our group with a thud. It was a soldier bearing the symbol of the ONNT—one of Hunt's men.

      "He's already dead," Arlo told us in a low voice. As soon as he'd finished talking, a series of gunshots began to fire out again. The two groups were at war once again. We had to get there before there was no one left to save.

      Ahead of me, Delphinium slipped out her daggers as we ran up the hill that would bring us to the outpost we were seeking. I pulled out a gun of my own making from my backpack without breaking my eye contact with the checkpoint that was coming more and more into view. There were two smaller buildings on either side of the road. Between the two, in the distance, stood the pale outline of the massive fortress. Bodies lay everywhere, mostly fallen ONNT soldiers. The gunshots were coming from one side, but from the angle we were at, I could only see a few Imperium agents. They hadn't caught a glimpse of us yet.

      The gunshots became more frenzied, like the shooters inside the building were getting desperate. We rounded the building, soft and stealthy as mice.

      There, surrounding one side of the outpost, was a group of Imperium operatives—recognizable by their black and gold accented attire. There were too many to count, but the ONNT soldiers had shot down a good amount, seeing the dead bodies that littered the ground. But it was obvious that they would eventually win; Imperium had the superior weapons, soldiers and the upper hand.