Chapter one: Stay Safe

The loud thunder boomed outside, as the wind raged on and I sat in my bed, listening to the sound of my parents' screaming voices erupt from downstairs. My old ballpoint pen scratched at the lined paper of my diary as I wrote. 'Mom and dad are fighting again, I don't want to get involved this time, so I think I'll just wait it out.' I wrote on the almost filled page in navvy blue ink. All of a sudden, there was the sound of a gun being fired and a loud thump like something heavy had been dropped, and then, silence. 

I don't exactly know what I heard, but I knew it was no good. Quickly slipping on my pink lace decorated slippers, I rushed downstairs, only to find my mother shaking and aiming a gun at me as my father laid motionlessly on the floor, crimson liquid pooling around him. I looked at my terrified mother then back to my lifeless father. 

"D....Don't come any closer, Sarah." She said shakily. 

I froze at her shaky, but powerful words. I mean, who in the right state of mind wouldn't? My whole body stiffened, and all I could think about was the gun that rested in her hands fully loaded, aimed at me. 

"N...now be a g....go...good g...irl and go back to your r...room." The crazed woman ordered. 

"Yes, mother." I replied, trying to keep my voice clear and even. 

I ran back to my room and quickly dialed 911. Thunder boomed as the person on the other end picked up. 

"911 what's you emer...gancy...?" The male on the other line asked, but due to the storm, the phone kept cutting in and out.

"Yes, sir, my m...mother is downstairs, and she has a gun. She sh,,,ot my f.. ather..." I replied shakily, my voice laced with fear.

I waited for a response, but to no surprise only received silence with hints of static every few minutes. 

There was another gunfire, but this time it was followed by a little girls scream. Lindsey! The only thought that rushed through my head as I flew down the old, creaky staircase, was protecting my foster sister. When I arrived in the small, but modern kitchen, my mother was staring off and Lindsey was slumped against one of the walls, in her own little pool of sticky blood.  All I could do is stare at the little girls body in horror. Thunder boomed loudly, once again, but this time it was followed by lightning. The loud noise broke me out of my trance, and I took the opportunity to take the gun from my mother.