Flower vs Dumpling

"I will absolutely mention our tie," Pearl shouted from her spot on the couch

"I will absolutely mention our tie," Pearl shouted from her spot on the couch. "And how I'm gonna beat you!" She slumped onto her side, grinning despite Marina not even being able to see it.

Eighteen Splatfests in and the two idols were tied to nine wins each. While obviously there will be more Fests after this one, Pearl couldn't resist throwing in some competition. Marina saw this attribute as a blessed curse; no matter if those words contradict each other. It just fits.

Sometimes though...

"Pearlie," Marina called from her kitchen. "Can't you just be happy with your wins?"

"Never! I must be better."

She gave a defeated sigh as she put away the last bit of dishes. "And she wonders how Emperor became so competitive. He got it from the squid who raised him."

"I love you, Pearlie," Marina said as she walked out of the kitchen.

"That sentence better not start with 'but'." Pearl lifted her head to playfully glare at her girlfriend.

"However," Marina glared back. "You can be a bit too competitive." She sat beside Pearl, patting her lap to invite her back to laying down. She happily took the invite to lay her head on her girlfriend's comfy thighs.

"Plus, is a competition the most important thing right now? Anything else going on in your head right now?" Marina not-so-subtly asked, insinuating to a certain event happening in a few days. And they both know she wasn't talking about the Splatfest.

"Hmm, mayyyybe. Who knows," Pearl stuck her tongue out. "But it wouldn't be fun if I just shared all of my thoughts with you. Wouldn't it?" She grinned at Marina's disappointment.

"You can't blame me for asking. You've always done something big for my birthday. I feel like at this point you're trying to one-up yourself each year." Marina hummed, playing with Pearl's short bangs.