Chapter 20

Trying to persuade Howler was like trying to hunt blind– risky and unknowing. The Stone Hollow alpha wasn't in his right mind. Any suggestions made about raiding Red Fang were only answered with quiet, distracted mumbles.

As the weeks bled into months, an attack from Mystique's Pack was expected every day. Wolves from Flame Woods and Stone Hollow stood by the entrance to the camp, tensing their muscles in preparation for a mass of barking enemies to come charging through. Yet, to their impatience, the ambush never came.

Rascal's anxiety was through the roof. He hated waking up every morning, ready to feel the tear of his flesh between enemy fangs. Misty's leg healed fast. She can put in more help, and now, that the pups are older, she is able to participate in hunting and defense. The gaping hole in Isaac's head where his eye was supposed to be, healed slowly. It was hard getting used to his strange new appearance, although no wolf uttered a word about his looks. Six long months of the three-way war left every wolf feeling drained. Even the birth of Alusia's pups could not bring happiness among the Packs. Destiny, Archie, and Mountain's deaths left a thick cloud of despair over Lifeless Forest. The true meaning of lifeless was beginning to push in.

Today, with permission from Skylark, Thunder and Rose would take their pups out to hunt for the first time, along with Isaac and his sons. Extra wolves were ordered to accompany them on their task, careful to watch out for any suspicious activity.

"That's not fair!" Ash whined. "I wanna go hunt with Brave and Swift!" The copper-colored pup scowled in the direction of the hunting wolves, who were moments away from leaving.

Rascal remained patient. "Your turn will be here before you know it. You just have to wait for a few more months."

"What!" River exclaimed. "That will be forever. We're ready!"

Clover hung her head. "We never get to do anything fun."

All four of his puppies looked at him, using their wide-eyes to try and get their way.

"No," Rascal replied in a firmer tone. "You are to wait just like every other pup." He gestured in Alusia's direction, where she was watching her two she-pups try to leap up and catch a butterfly. "Why don't you go play with Asa and Silvi?"

Storm flicked an ear and looked at the she-pups. Rascal realized how fast his son had grown. His snout lengthened. The male's paws leaving larger prints in the dirt.

Finally, Storm glanced at his father. "Well... it's just that they're, you know, kind of small. I wouldn't want to hurt them."

Rascal nodded in approval, admiring his son's caution to those much smaller than him. "I understand."

"But they're only a month old!" Ash flattened his ears. "And we're almost six months! It's boring being stuck in here all day every day!"

"Then go find Ripple and keep him company." Rascal stared sharply at Ash. "He's had a hard time, accepting that his sister is gone. The least you can do is give him comfort."

Clover's eyes dimmed. "He's my best friend. I don't want him feeling sad." She raced off to go find Ripple.

Storm stared at his paws, then at the she-pups playing happily, back to his father. "I'll go spend time with them if that's what you want me to do."

"It's only a suggestion, but that's kind of you, Storm. I know that there isn't much to do in camp. Try to make the best of it." Rascal advised. "I have to go with Isaac and Thunder. Stay with Blossom until your mother returns from checking the territory. I expect you three to mind Blossom."

The healer nodded to Rascal, then gestured for Ash and River to follow her while Storm bounded over to Asa and Silvi.

Rascal walked beside Isaac, watching Brave and Swift jump around excitedly. They have grown so much. Their shoulders were stronger than before. The muscles in their legs began showing through. The sun shone on their sleek fur, reminding Rascal that their puphood would be coming to an end before they know it. Meaning, his own pups would grow up in the blink of an eye.