Ch. 6 - Ritual Sacrifice

They made it outside. Just being out in the sun already made Caz feel a tiny bit better. "Which way?" she asked once they were all out in front.

"We left Festus in the park, that way." Leo pointed southeast.

"Park? Festus?"

"Questions later. Move now," Nico insisted, coming up beside her.

Will lead the way towards the park. Hey didn't see anyone following them yet. As it was later in the day there were a lot more people out on the streets. They slowed up a little in an effort to blend in and made it to the park. Festus was easy to spot, though not for the mortals luckily.

Mrs. O'Leary saw Caz and bounded towards her, licking her face and nearly knocking her to the ground. "I missed you too, girl. Okay, okay, settle down." She scratched the Hellhound at the highest point she could reach.

"We need to move," Jason said, climbing onto Festus with Leo.

"Go with Leo and Jason. I don't want you shadow-traveling with Mrs. O'Leary," Will told her point blank.

"Will I'm okay."

"No, they poisoned you with something. I can't quite tell what it is, but I won't risk how it might interact with the shadow-travel. I don't know what that might do to you. Once we're back at camp and safe I can work it out and make sure it's free from your system. Besides they don't have any weapons. I hate it. I really hate letting you out of my sight right now, but it's safer. Go, doctor's orders."

Caz wanted to protest, but could tell from the look on her brother's face it would be a waste of time. Nico was making a face behind Will's back. Then they heard yelling and screaming which most likely meant several larger than human things or potentially one extremely big something was heading their way.

"Where are we meeting up?" Jason asked as Leo began preparing for takeoff. He then offered Caz a hand, which she took and was pulled up on the dragon's back.

"Someone promised me a cheeseburger."

"Food later. Escape now," Nico told her.

She growled at him.

"You guys can go on back to camp, but we have to make a stop Oklahoma first. We'll meet you there. I know someone else who will want to know you're alive," Leo decided for everyone and then took off into the air.

Caz didn't get a chance to protest as Leo took off so fast. They had been in the air for some time when the air turned from cold to freezing. Jason could tell Caz was shaking from the cold.

"How I long for my Hunter coat right about now," Caz said to essentially no one.

"You're a Hunter?" Jason asked, half turning his head toward her.

"No, but I was with them for a while. I only just left a week ago. I can't believe Will didn't bring anything for me except my weapons. Thalia just found out about you by the way."

"Me being alive?"

"No. About you being... uh dead."

"Oh."

They'd been up in the air in silence for a while longer. Cassie wasn't a big fan of flying, especially without a plane or preferably pegasus. Granted she wasn't Percy-level of against flying, but no one thought it was as bad as he did. Today in particular though it really wasn't agreeing with her.

"How mu-much longer Le-o?" Her teeth were now officially chattering.

"Not sure."

"Well co-uld y-you hu-rry?"