A World Before Time (2)

The world we built together still stands strong

   The world we built together still stands strong. But the six of us are scattered like rotting autumn leaves. Reminders of those days are everywhere and yet it was so long ago that my mind struggles to recall even the largest detail. I think this is what they call old. My memories are like streams of water which flow into each other, like a rushing river into the great ocean—my life. But the vastness of the ocean cannot be grasped, and so I'm left with my little streams. This kingdom we built together still stands so strong.

Although the philosophers have disappeared, and court remains a mess—I remember you. I mean to say I remember that you did it, though I don't know how. I could never decipher you. But I think of you often. Those days dwell on me, to ease the guilt of having forgotten your face. Of what you taught me; you and master showed me the world. But all I have now is my palace and a court full of vanity.

Your presence remains strong here. I keep thinking I see you in these vast empty halls; my eyes catch shadows of your ghost. I feel you pass me by. I hear your voice. In those moments, I forget that you have left me.

I never knew how you did it, or why you chose me after you. The others were, and continue to be, better than me. But I try to remember the promises we made—even those we failed to keep—every single one of them. I grasp them tightly, along with our secrets, though they're slowly slipping away. One by one they gather in the graveyard.

Why is it that I'm still alive?

I'm an old oak tree standing desolate in the middle of winter. My leaves have fallen down below, and my branches grow weary for rest. But I stand firm, holding on...maybe tomorrow will be my end? Then maybe time will wash away all traces of my existence, as I join you. There in the graveyard, where all our secrets are held. Laying peacefully amongst tombs of treasure. 

             — An excerpt from the found diary of the Queen of Argia

Year 183