Chapter 18

Out of Time

Chapter 18

93 days before

And so we fell asleep. I was exhausted from crying, and Erin was exhausted from comforting me. We just fell asleep in each others' arms, and it was peaceful, like nothing could bother us, like everything was normal, yet in reality was anything but.

When I woke up Erin was still curled into me, her chest rising and falling softly. I brushed a few strands of hair behind her ear, and she smiled in her sleep, creating a smile on my face as well. I kissed her forehead softly, and she woke up from the gentle touch. "Morning beautiful," I smiled.

"Morning handsome," Erin smiled back, kissing my cheek.

I grinned at her. Despite my hair loss, how it was thinning away to what would be nothing, she still found me attractive, still loved me. That's what I love most about her, that what I think most people would do in her situation, she does the opposite. She stays where she wants and goes where she pleases and I love that about her.

"What are you thinking about?" Erin asked, the smile on her face still there.

"You," I said.

She pressed her lips against mine, kissing me slowly. I kissed her back for a moment before pulling away. "How about we go down to the cafe for breakfast?" Erin said.

"That sounds great," I said, sighing contently.

We both didn't move from our spots for another few minutes. "Jay?" She said.

"Hm?"

"We should probably leave."

"But I'm comfortable..."

"Just get up," Erin giggled, getting out of bed and taking my hand, pulling me out with her. I took a dramatic sigh. "If it makes you feel any better we can go in our pajamas."

"Absolutely it does," I said.

She smirked at me. "I'm sure they'd love your choice in pajama pants. Beer mugs? Really?"

"Course," I laughed, putting on my shoes before grabbing my beanie, carefully putting it on.

Erin smiled sadly at me before lacing our fingers together, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "Ready?" She asked.

"Ready."

---

When we arrived at Cafe Cream we ordered our teas and croissants and sat down beside the large window, overlooking the trees that were shedding their colorful autumn leaves. "So how's the writing going?" Erin asked after a moment.

I bit my lip. "I haven't written much, and it's not the greatest, so I've been having Tom help. We were writing a song over the phone when I was still recovering in the hospital."

Erin nodded. "You think I can hear one?"

"They're not exactly happy songs..."

"It's fine. I just want to hear your voice," Erin smiled, reaching for my hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

I smiled back at her. "Tell you what, if you help me with my next video, I'll let you hear one."

"Deal."

I grinned at her, bringing her hand up to my lips and kissing it softly. I then reached over to the bag and pulled out the croissant. "Want some?" I asked, and Erin, as usual, nodded. I split it into halves, and gave her one like I always did and we started eating.

We both eventually finished up, tossing our trash into the trash can and leaving. We arrived at our house, and before we could do anything, Erin grabbed my hand, playing with my fingers. "Everything okay?" I asked.