Chapter 3

Gratsu Bingo 2019
Prompt: Precious

Chapter 3

Natsu tried to ignore the sting he felt at Gray's words. He didn't get a chance to respond as the door to the infirmary burst open, and Erza, Lucy, Mira, and Gramps rushed in.

They'd all looked at Natsu in shock, surprised to see him standing and after that, the room had gotten deafening at least for him. There were a lot of shouts and cries as more and more people entered the room. Natsu was being showered with hugs, and he was being moved further and further from Gray.

The only thing Natsu could tell as he watched Gray was that he appeared confused by the commotion. He hadn't moved from the chair, but he was observing everyone like he thought they were insane. People began to surround him as well, congratulating him for something he clearly had no idea about, and Natsu sighed.

He had a feeling whatever this was, it was going to be bad. But he was alive, and as long as there was breath in him, he would work hard to get things back to the way they were. After everything they'd been through, they deserved that much at least.

Natsu could feel Makarov watching him, and he desperately wanted to talk to him, to ask for his help, but there were too many people around. He managed to lock eyes with the guild master and received a curt nod in reply.

"Alright everyone, I know you're excited by Natsu's miraculous recovery, but we should let Wendy and Porlyusica take a look at him."

Makarov watched as everyone filed out, stopping Lucy and Erza before they could leave. Once everyone else had left, Makarov closed the door and waited for Wendy and Porlyusica to do their examination.

"Well?"

"He's fine." Porlyusica reported after a thorough evaluation, "I can't find any trace of the curse."

"Curse?" Gray sneered at Natsu, his words laced with disdain, "You are such a dumbass, what did you do? Eat something you weren't supposed to again?"

Natsu ignored the obvious taunt, glancing at Gray sadly for a brief moment before focusing on Happy.

Erza looked puzzled by Gray's attitude, and she was about to scold him when she noticed Natsu shaking his head at her. She pursed her lips in disapproval but remained quiet.

Lucy looked just as confused, but she was too relieved to see Natsu alive and well to give it much thought. She ran to Natsu and hugged him tightly.

"I'm so glad you're alright," she said in between tears," I'm so sorry, I should have been paying more attention."

"It wasn't anyone's fault Lucy," Natsu assured her, kissing the top of her head chastely.

Natsu felt rather than saw Gray's hostile glare, and he smiled inwardly. Gray might not remember what they meant to each other, but he was still reacting to Lucy being around him just like he used to before they got together. It was a small thing, but it was enough to fuel Natsu's hope.

"It's like it was never there, to begin with," Wendy remarked while conversing with Porlyusica, "How is that possible?"

"If I had to hazard a guess, the ice brat should have some answers for us," Porlyusica chewed on her lip turning her attention to Gray as did everyone else.

"What are you all looking at me for?" Gray snapped, and Natsu knew he was fighting off the panic of not knowing what was going on the only way he knew how, putting up a wall and acting like he didn't care. Natsu's heart ached for him.

Happy took one look at Natsu and then at Gray, and he started to cry.

"It's okay, little buddy," Natsu tried to comfort him as best he could, holding him in his arms and petting him softly, "I'm okay."