Prologue

A/N: It's been a while that I'm writing anything and upon reading my previous works, I decided to scrap everything before and seriously start fresh, with (hopefully) more of a comprehensive and realistic love story (within the fantasy realm that is).

If you're new and/or randomly encountered this, I want to say thank you, dear reader. I can't promise on an upload schedule, but I will write as much as I can. Depending on the success of this prologue and if interest arises, I will dedicate as much as I can to this. Otherwise, this will be (very) slowly updated.

Also, this is an LGBT+ story. If you feel uncomfortable, this is not the book for you.

That being said: I present to you the prologue of Carnal Desire. I hope you enjoy!

-Eric

*****

As his paws make their marks on the crumbling leaves and the soil of the earth, the wolf raced to catch his prey: a white rabbit around a quarter of a mile away. He slowed as he approached the creature, preparing to attack at any second. He waits...and waits...and he jumps!

...and he misses.

The prey hops away speedily as the wolf just barely misses the shot.

"Darn it! I had it within my reach!"  the Alpha wolf complained.

Another wolf, his Beta, appears next to the Alpha.

"Well, I guess today's just not your day, huh? You've been going at this for quite some hours and only manage to catch 3."

The Alpha replied, "Oh shut it, Mark. Don't rub it in my face."  He paused for a few seconds. "I hope the other hunters have better luck today."

"We could always just go to the local butcher's shop to buy game, you know? I don't know why you're insisting on us actually going our and hunt, William. This is the 21st century."

"It's good practice, Mark. A wolf needs to maintain his skills." William snapped.

"Ok fine," Mark huffed, backing off as he looked at the setting sun in the distant horizon. "But we don't have much time left. We should hurry back if we want to have some of your mom's pie. That pie will be the death of me. I could-"

The Alpha shushed his Beta. "Shhhhhhhh. I hear movement."

The two wolfs paused and a ruffling sound came from the bushes. William quietly walked towards the bush, only to find that taunting rabbit once again, trying to escape.

"You're not getting away this time,"  William said to himself.

Crunch. Pause. Crrruunncchhh. Longer pause. Crrrrrruuuunnnccchhh.

The wolf gets into his position as he readied himself to pounce.

"GROWL!"

----------------------------------------------------

"Hey boys!" the mother of William, Lillian, hollered from the porch of the pack house at the two men, freshly shifted out of their wolf forms and carrying 4 carcasses."Rough hunt?"

"If you could call it a hunt sure,"  William grumbled.

"William Juan Farham, you may be the alpha of this pack, but you don't give your mother this attitude!"

"Sorry, ma. It's just... I don't know, things have been stressful these days and..."

Another voice screamed, "Hey Mark!"

It was Mark's mate, Sophia, who called for him. Mark, naturally, ran up to Sophia like a dog returning to his owner and leaned in for a kiss. The pair conversed about their days and laugh about something, but William couldn't make of what they were laughing.

William had a pained face but quickly regain his composure to say hi to Sophia before turning back to face his mother.

"Oh, my boy, come here."

William dragged his feet up the stairs of the porch and Lillian promptly gave her son a consoling hug.

"You are a strong man, William. You have kept our pack together and away from danger. Know that you are important. Keep pushing on. Don't give up on yourself."

"Yes, ma, but... I'm just so fucking tired." William said as he looks at Mark and Sophia. 

Mark found Sophia as his mate when he was 18, a few days after his birthday, and 7 years since then, the pair have been inseparable. William can't help but feel lost and alone every time when he saw members of his pack, including Mark, find their mates and live happily alongside their one true soulmates. The pair laughed louder, apparently from a joke that Mark told, as a group of people started approaching the couple from a distance.

"No buts, William. Someday, you will find your mate. Someday, you will find that other half. But today, live a little and be happy. Don't let the topic make you unhappy because you are worth so much more. You are the Alpha of this mighty pack. You are our leader. You have to be strong for your people."

"I know, ma."  William replied, hugging his mom tighter, just for one extra second, before he lets her go as he went down to join the rest of the small group gathered in the front. But it's not long before...

"Hey, y'all. My pie is ready! Come and get 'em, you hungry wolves!" Lillian shouted.

----------------------------------------------------

As the pack in the forest gathered together for pie, a certain suave businessman arrived in the nearby town of Farraville, a quaint town with around 10,000 people. This town thrives on lumbering and tourism of the local Enammel Mountains. The businessman stares out of the window of his suite at the local hotel next to the forest, pondering the economic potential of the lustrous wood and beauty of the scenery. 

Just then, his phone buzzed off the coffee table and he rushed to pick it up. 

"Hello?" He greeted the caller with a somewhat enthusiastic tone.

...

"Yes, yes. I have arrived safely."

...

"I'll be back in 2 weeks. It'll be as quick like a snap."

...

"Alright, see you soon. Say hi to my sister for me."

...

"Alright bye." The businessman promptly ended his call with a smile and continued his sightseeing of the beautiful scene in front of him...

Things will never be the same in the next two weeks.

***

And that is a taste of this new book! I hope you enjoyed it. Vote and comment and I'll see where this takes us.

See you soon,

Eric.