Chapter 1

The streets of Small Heath lay quiet and deserted in the early dusk of a Sunday evening in November. Nobody went out on a Sunday evening, especially in the winter months. If you left the comfort of your own home around these parts, you'd catch frostbite; just as long as nobody else caught you first.

Unfortunately for Marilyn Davenport, the urgency of her information couldn't wait another day. So, as all the content families were locked in their dull houses, her pristine leather boots came tapping down the empty lane.

The winter air had picked up, blowing her strawberry blonde curls around her unsheltered head, making her light blue eyes water. Her grey fur coat, crimson long sleeved shirt and riding bottoms were disappointingly doing little to keep her from feeling the harsh cold on her skin.

Nonetheless, her compassion and determination spurred her on, not to mention the fact that she'd rode for more than two hours on her horse just to get here; she wasn't going back now.

Rounding the corner, she passed a few discarded carts, obviously awaiting the next day to be used. Her swirling eyes were fixated on the door she had been looking for. She knew not who or what lay behind it, but she knew she needed to warn them.

For a damaged fifteen-year-old, Marilyn had a heart of gold, but a brain so intricately thinking, it was impossible to trick. She had knowledge way beyond her years, a solution to everyone else's problems, the ability to smell a lie a mile off. She'd already caught a dangerous vibe from the small town, but danger was something she was much accustomed with.

The Shelbys were oblivious to the whirlwind about to show up at their door. They certainly weren't prepared for it to be a young girl. Amidst the trouble of their world, the Peaky Blinders had found one evening to relax with their family, no business to be discussed – due to Polly's demands.

Arthur, John, Michael, Finn and Polly were sat around the table as Esme placed another bottle onto the wooden surface, creating a round of cheers from the boys. Polly rolled her eyes, but the glint behind them showed nothing but happiness. Ada was visiting with Karl who perched on her lap as she and Esme began to chat amongst themselves. John's kids were running around the house, careful not to shove the notorious Thomas Shelby who stood smirking in the doorway.

A smirk from Tommy was about the best you were going to get, but it represented the pride he had for his family. As he glanced around the room, he was reminded of the old days before the war that had taken so much from them all. He was grateful that Ada had come home, he was glad that Polly had finally found Michael after all those years and he was thankful that they could enjoy one peaceful night in. So he thought.

Marilyn stood silently outside the black front door, clearly nervous as her hands shook when she reached to knock. The three taps rung out in her ears like echoing drums, her heart was beating so fast she thought it might explode. All she knew was that whatever happened next couldn't be worse than what happened at home.

Inside the house everybody fell silent. The signature smirk that Tommy once held completely disappeared as he exchanged looks with a concerned Polly. Arthur and John rose to their feet, hands reaching to their guns instinctively, like it was an ordinary reflex.

The three brothers moved synchronised, Tommy signalling for everyone to be quiet as they stood next to the door. Three loud knocks echoed again, causing Ada to jump whilst trying to keep Karl still. Nobody ever came out on Sunday nights, not unless they were looking for trouble.

Expertly, Tommy swung the door open, holding his gun up towards the unwanted visitor in a millisecond. The confusion and shock in his mind when he saw the petite girl nearly made his stern expression waver... nearly.