Overworked

"No Steve, I booked it off for a reason" I stated firmly, walking away from the office, "I have tickets for it myself, you think I'm going to miss it because Emily and Zach are off sick and wait on people who are off enjoying a film I've paid for!?"

"Please Steph, I'll pay you double time, we're going to be so busy, you know how it gets when a new film hits the cinema. We're right next door." He pleaded.

I looked at him. Torn. I needed the money, but I had booked tickets for the new Norman Reedus film months earlier. 'Silence' was tipped to be a blockbuster and I had midnight release tickets, for tonight. It was fully booked for the next few weeks.

"I'll buy you new tickets," he begged, "as soon as there's an available showing?"

I was so unsure. I needed something to cheer me up. It had been months since my "O" appeared on my wrist. I was even convinced it was fading. Another birthday had come and gone where I was a little bit older and no closer to meeting my soulmate. Helens wedding was getting closer, new couples were coming into the pub every day, even my 15 year old sister had begun to find a darkening around the soft skin on the inside of her wrist.

I sighed, weighing it up. Did I really want to be in a cinema surrounded by happy, loved up couples reminding me of what I didn't have...?

"Sure" I threw my hands up and walked off towards the bar.

********************************************

It. Was. Busy. Even that was a man understatement. The bar was absolutely heaving with people, just as it had been 3 hours earlier. I tried to close my ears to the customers chatting about the film and the 'twist' that I desperately didn't want ruined.

I glanced and Steve, rolling my eyes, he gave me what I imagine was supposed to be a sympathetic and apologetic smile. I opened my mouth to remind him how much he owed me and..

CRASH!

A glass smashed on the wall right behind me, showering me with spiky shards of glass. Down the back of my neck and in my hair. I instinctively crouched down and Steve shot forward, along with Josh and Craig, two of my colleagues. After briefly checking on me the three of them ran around the bar to try and calm the ever growing crowd of people. First they were shouting, throwing things, now they were lashing out with punches and kicks.

Never one to shy away from a little fighting, I ran forward too, grabbing people from the struggling group and attempted to pull them apart. I waved my hand to Helen behind the bar, three waves with 3 fingers to indicate that she needed to press the panic button. The alarm went straight through to the police control room and officers would, hopefully, be with us in minutes.