Beautiful Music

Living under the radar wasn't ideal; the never ending shuffle from place to place, the constant jeopardy of their lives, yes, running away from a government that only cared for the value of your chopped up body certainly made for a shitty, but interesting life. It seemed like around every corner was danger and excitement. New and familiar faces riddled their lives on the road, scrambling for all the help they could get. They were grateful for the safe houses along the way. It was nice to know that some people had a mind of their own, and one that had a good amount of human decency as well. That combination was hard to come by these days.

Connor and Risa had gotten close after everything they've been through. It was only natural to gravitate towards the people you've endured trauma with. They become like a strong tether to ground you back to the shambles of the earth. Risa and Connor are each other's tethers.

But with a life so eventful, it made the boring parts stick out like a sore thumb. The lack of anything to do was a perfect breeding ground for paranoia and boredom. Connor kept finding himself looking over his shoulder to make sure no one had found them. Risa kept pacing aimlessly through the small, empty house searching for something to occupy herself. Her fingers kept twitching, itching to play a piano, but the house didn't have so much as a keyboard. Connor picked up on it and smirked.

"Antsy, huh?" he spoke up from his spot on the couch, watching as she crossed the room to sit with him.

"Yeah..." she trailed off, leaning into him. "I just wish I had something to play to take my mind off everything." Connor sat up a little straighter to listen.

"I feel you, I feel like I've been going crazy lately, music might be nice," he said. She smiled sadly, "Too bad there are no instruments. I'd honestly love to hear you try and play a trumpet."

"Hey I'd rock a trumpet!" he defended himself, and brought his hands close to his mouth to mime playing a trumpet and making the accompanying sounds. She leaned back, laughter free flowing from her lips, and Connor felt himself fall even harder. He'd do anything to hear that laugh, to know he made her happy. "But I think I'd be more of a saxophone guy. That's the sexy instrument, right?"

She snickered and leaned back to look at him. "Didn't know you found instruments attractive," she teased. He put his hand on her face and lightly pushed her away, "You know what I mean!" She moved his hand away to glare at him playfully, but it didn't stop her from intertwining their fingers.

"Yeah I know," she said fondly, yet with a hint of sadness. Connor moved their hands and turned his palm up, taking her hand and moving it to his forearm. Her brows furrowed, "What are you doing?"

He shrugged, "Since you don't have a piano, I thought..." he trailed off.

"You could me my piano?" she finished for him. He smiled at him shyly and nodded. "Aww, that's so sweet!" She pecked a kiss to his cheek. "Anything special you want to hear?"

"You know that old 2000's song? The Black Parade?" he asked. Connor liked to consider himself a rebel, and considering the name he made for himself, he very much was one. So naturally, he was drawn to the alternative rock and stereotypical emo music of that era. She positioned herself sitting upright, her hands poised above his arm as if she were hovering above the keys. She closed her eyes, imagining the where each note fell.

"Alright, but if I play it, you have to sing."

"What?"

"You promised to be my instrument, so you make the music," she reasoned. He rolled his eyes, "Alright, fine."

G. The first note. Even though no music played, it still rang through Connor's head as clear as day. He was a little self conscious about singing in front of her, even though he knew she wouldn't judge. His voice was quiet and deep, with a soft tenderness Risa had never heard from him.