Chapter VI- Miss you

Richie takes his backpack and saves some basic school supplies: a pen, a pencil, a rubber, and a ruler.
"Can you believe how far you've come? Just a few weeks ago you were locked in an orphanage, and now you're preparing everything for your school test" Eddie says, his voice filled with pride for his friend
"I'm so nervous!"
"I wish I could be there..."
"Why don't you ask your mum if you can stay here?"
"We already talked about this, Rich. Your parents tried to offer their house, but my mum said no. I don't know what's going on, but I can't allow myself to be a pain in her ass. Not right now"
"Kiddos! Bedtime. Long day tomorrow"
"Okay, dad"
"Eddie? Is everything ready?"
"Yeah, thanks for bringing some clothes"

Just a few hours ago, the kids found out they were going to be detached from each other, and Eddie's leaving to Texas with his friend Mike in just a few hours.
"When are you coming back?" the taller boy asks
"I don't know, Rich"
"What do you mean you don't know?"
"Sorry" Eddie shrugs "But I really have no idea"
"But... you'll be back in time for first day. Right? I mean, you have to be. Your friend Mike won't wanna miss first day"
"He's actually homeschooled, so..."
"You won't be back for first day?"
"You're really gonna miss me, aren't ya?"

'Of course I will, asshole'

"Miss you? Pff, please" Richie acts dumb "You're the one who's gonna miss us"
"Us?" Eddie asks
"Me and my di..."
"Jeez, you're seriously disgusting" he interrupts
Eddie smiles at him though. He's learnt to read Richie's language, and that's him admitting he will in fact miss him.

"I'll miss you, Richie Rich. Try not to need me too much. Make some friends"
"Yeah, whatever. I'll let you know if I get in"
"When you get in" Eddie corrects him "You'll be fine"
"I hope"
"You better get going. You want me to go with you?"
"You can't..."
"Well, I can't stay, obviously. But I may actually be able to go with you, and stay until you get in"
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah. Let's get going"
The two boys run downstairs and are about to leave when Harry gets in the middle

"Woah, where you goin' Eds?"
"I'm going to school with Richie. I'll be back in a bit"
"Sorry kid, but you can't"
"Why not?" Richie asks
"Mike's on his way. He's close." Harry looks at Eddie "Your mother begged us not to keep the Hanlons waiting"
Eddie looks at Richie, who seems disappointed

"Okay..." he turns to face his friend "You'll be fine, Rich. Don't worry"
"Yeah. Thanks for trying, Eds" he seriously is terrified. He'd never seen him like that
Harry kisses Richie's head, and leaves the two boys on their own
"Hey, I'm serious" Eddie holds his hand tightly, just making sure Richie understands everything's gonna be fine "You're really smart. You're gonna nail it"
Rich lets go of his hand and smiles

"Have a great time in Texas. I'll miss you"
Eddie blushes at his words, and just hugs him. Surprisingly, Richie hugs back, and doesn't let go for a bit
"I better get going" he says
"Yeah. Good luck"
"You too!"
"Don't forget to let me know how it goes"
"I wouldn't dare"

Adelaide shows up to take Richie, while Harry stays with Eddie.
"Good luck, kid!" Harry screams
"Thank you, dad"
Richie gets in the car, and looks at Eddie, who's standing in the front door, staring at him. The car's engine starts, and he finally breaks eye contact.

As they get to the school, Richie gets out of the vehicle with his ID, and a filled application form on his hand.
"Good luck, honey"
"You're not coming?"
"Oh, sorry. I can't. Gotta get to work. But Eddie told you what to do, didn't he?"
"Yeah, I guess he did"
"You'll be fine. Just... make sure you're on the right line."
"Okay"
"Bye, son"
"Bye..."
Richie walks up to the longest line of the three, and stands behind a red haired girl

"H-hi" he says, but the girl doesn't seem to notice his presence. He clears his throat, and shyly asks for her attention once again "Excuse me?"
She turns around and frowns at him
"Sorry. Are you talking to me?"
"Y-yeah"
"Oh, sorry. I was just... I'm nervous. That's all"
"I'm nervous too"
"Well, I guess we all are. This school's apparently awesome, or whatever"
"So I've been told..."
"So... did you need something? Or just wanted a friend?" She looks gorgeous. Her eyes are green and her face's full of freckles.
"Um... both?"