someone safe

mj was dreading her speech. it wasn't the content of her speech, in fact, she was quite confident it was a really good speech but she didn't know if her delivery would do it justice and she was terrified.

she had to speak in front of the whole school and she didn't care about other people's opinions but the entire concept of giving a speech just felt scary to her.

she'd gone over everything hundreds of times. she'd memorised every part of this speech. she had practiced varying her voice. eye contact. facial expressions. hand gestures. there was still a part of her that felt as if everything was going to go wrong.

mj was biting her nails on the side of the stage when peter noticed her.

"uh oh. you're biting your nails. what's wrong?" peter asked. it was one of her many tells that she was anxious. there was also inside-of-cheek biting, repetitively tucking her hair behind her ears and sometimes she'd even start subtly doing the cha cha slide with her feet, which peter questioned yet still found admirable. she had many more strange things she did when she was nervous but biting her nails was most common.

"lots of people bite their nails, peter. who says anything's wrong?" she replied.

"yeah, lots of people bite their nails when somethings wrong. tell me," peter said to her.

"mr. demanding today, are we?" michelle questioned, light-heartedly. "seriously, nothing's wrong." she reiterated as she tucked her hair behind her ears. peter raised an eyebrow, wondering how many more times she would do it.

he looked at his watch then looked at her as she tucked her hair yet again. he smiled and glanced back down at his watch.

"peter, what on earth are you doing?" she asked and he looked at her once more as she tucked her hair behind her ears again. she just couldn't stop, it was as if she was somewhat irritated.

"look, how about you tell me what's wrong before i have to watch your feet do the cha cha slide?" peter demanded, again, as michelle began to blush.

"i may have a minor fear of public speaking," she admitted. peter furrowed his eyebrows, confused.

"then why agree to speak in front of the entire school?" he questioned.

"i don't know! mr harrington just asked me and of course i wasn't going to say no," michelle explained. "but now i have to speak in front of every single fuckwit in our school."

"look, when i was younger, i'd always get scared when speaking to a large group of people too," peter started to tell mj.

"well, how did you get over it?" she interrupted, impatient as she only had about 5 minutes before she had to stand on the stage and speak to everyone. peter chuckled.

"aunt may would tell me to just focus on someone who i can trust. someone who makes me feel safe," peter stated.

"someone who makes me feel safe," mj repeated to herself.

"yeah, so when you're out there and scared out of your mind, just look at someone who makes you feel safe," peter suggested. michelle nodded.

"thank you, peter," michelle was appreciative for peters advice.

"no problem, i should go back to sit with ned," he told her. she nodded her head as she heard her name get called.

she stepped onto the stage and took a deep breath in. there wasn't an excessive amount of people but it was enough for michelle to be mentally shitting herself.

three rows from the front was peter and ned. mj looked at peter and he gave her two thumbs up. she smiled back at him.

she gripped the microphone and started speaking. and every time she felt herself getting worried, she'd find her eyes going straight back to peter.

perhaps peter was michelle's someone safe. and that scared her more than anything else possibly could.

i've been at a loss for ideas lately so comment some and i'll do them man!