4. The bowman, Part II

She didn't take the direct path to the cemetery. Instead she stayed in the midst of trees as much as possible, though she occasionally cast her eyes upwards to make sure no one was hiding in them waiting for her. When she found a decent sized cluster of trees she did a rough inventory. She had a small handful of gold, a decent amount of silver, and a lot of copper. She stashed some of it, mostly the more valuable pieces, in a squirrel hole in the tree, removed one of her socks, and put the bulkiest amount of money inside.

The cemetery wasn't far. She spotted it first, then a big jagged rock that protruded from the dirt. Sure enough, a campfire had been set. Two scruffy looking men, a small carriage, a lethargic-looking horse, a sleeping bear chained to a tree, and one captive half-elf. Dominic.

Fury built up inside her. As far as she could tell he was unharmed. He looked alert, eyeing the cut of meat roasting on the fire hungrily; there were no visible cuts or bruises on him, But how dare they kidnap him? How dare they scare her so badly? How dare they let him
go hungry?

They would pay.

They had picked an open area. No chance for a sneak attack but that was fine. She wanted them to know who was killing them and why. She grabbed her trusty spear in one hand, her sock full of money in the other, and stepped out into the clearing.

It took them a pathetically long time to notice her. Dominic was the first one to do so - he caught her eye, then maintained eye contact while shaking his head. Didi paused. Why would he gesture at her to leave – was there a trap somewhere? She pointed from one direction to another, casting Dominic questioning glances each time. Each time he shook his head, but each time she tried to advance he shook his head faster.

"Hey! Who are you!?" shouted one of the bandits, grabbing a sword from the ground. He'd noticed Dominic's head shaking.

She jangled the coins in the sock like he was a house pet she was trying to lure back with food. "I'm here for my brother!"

"Ha! So you are the little sister! And you actually brought the money! How sweet!"

"Some of it!" she called out at him. "You can have this bit when my brother's untied. Then, I'll tell you where I stashed the rest, and by the time you find it we'll be safe at home!" She might as well keep the lie up until they unbound Dominic.

To her confusion, both men started laughing. There was something more than crude in it, something... It reminded her of home somehow, but it wasn't like her mother... No, these men reminded her of her father.

Her father, who she barely knew. Her father, who her mother used like a bull for breeding. Her father, who had been chosen for that purpose for his strength, and brutality.

Both men rushed at her and she sprinted forward, her spear held straight out to deflect their weapons. She rushed through the center of them, causing them both to stumble a bit. They hadn't expected her to go past them, but her first aim was to free Dominic. She ripped the gag from his mouth first, then went behind him to get at his tied wrists.

"Get out of here!" Dominic said, as she sawed at the ropes–an awkward matter, with her spear. The bandits had already doubled back; she wouldn't have much time.

"Are you hurt?" she asked.

"I'm fine! Get out!"

She continued to saw, though the bandits were mere feet away. "Move your wrists apart more!"

He did, and she slashed away the last few tethers of the rope. Dominic sprang up just in time to get between the bandits and her, causing each man to divert their path, going around him separate ways to get to her. Dominic chased the one on her right. Her spear was enough to hold the other one at bay. Her eyes fell on Dominic–he was holding his own, but the bandit had a weapon, and Dominic's strongest spells needed a focus–his staff.