Chapter 3 : Heart not Brain

I couldn't stop thinking about what Biana told me yesterday ,I had a rough sleep just thinking about Fitz having a crush on me. Could it be true? , Does he know I like him back? ,Will we ever become something more? , the thoughts rushed through my head like bullets. Although i was going to be late I rushed up stairs to the Leapmaster 500 and quickly called "Foxfire!"

The light took me away and I arrived at the large school. It only took me a couple minutes to put everything in my locker.

Dex and Biana appeared behind me ,but more importantly..holding hands?

I took a quick glance at their intertwined fingers hoping they wouldn't notice. Dex didn't but Biana gave me a positive and reassuring smile as if telling me she would give the details later.

I had been so wrapped up in worry of being late that I missed orientation and came straight to my locker because the night before I got a note saying me and Fitz were going to be doing loads cognate training all day , that I didn't even notice my two best friends getting close. At the age of 15 it would be a good time to start especially since after midterms we were allowed to get our matchmaking scrolls.

"Hey Sophie!"Dex said nonchalantly

"Hey guys ,no time to talk! Got to get to telepathy but ill see you later!" I gave them a wink and walked off.

I had been so wrapped up in worry of being late that I missed orientation and came straight to my locker because the night before I got a note saying me and Fitz were going to be cognate training all day , that I didn't even notice my two best friends getting close. At the age of 15 it would be a good time to start especially since after midterms we were allowed to get our matchmaking scrolls.

I rushed to Tiergan's class and as soon as I walked through the door Fitz was already there.

"Hey Fitz ,where's Tiergan," I said slightly confused I made it right on time yet Tiergan still was nowhere to be seen.

"He told me he would be a late ,but should be here in about 20 minutes." Fitz answered.

"So you excited about today?" I said trying to restrain from blushing a bursting to a fit of giggles.

I'm not one to be super boy crazy especially since all the boys from the forbidden cities had always had very disturbing thoughts about the girls ,but Fitz felt much safer than that because I knew with everything going on I could trust him.

"Yeah ,it'll be fun spending the whole day with you but still very draining ,you're always getting your self in unexplainable situations" he said and a soft smirk formed on his face.

"Hey you're more draining than I am" I responded teasingly with a small giggle.

He leaned in closer and stared at my eyes. Suddenly a memory played in my head of someone chasing after a girl who looked like me through a parking lot ,the memory became more clear and I realized it was the day Fitz found me and started chasing me to bring me here to the Lost Cities.

The twinkle in his eyes flashed and he gave a prideful grin.

"When did you learn to do that?" I asked surprised.

"Just something I picked up" he leaned back in his chair and continued "it's a little difficult and the memory's are still a bit blurry..." he trailed off a hint of dissatisfaction in his voice.

"I think ur amazing Fitz," I froze and blushed "I mean I think it's amazing that you can do that ,and I'm proud of you" I flashed a big smile and saw his pride come back to his face and sooner or later we were both smiling and blushing.

That moment Tiergan entered the room ,and he just looked at us still blushing and smiling. He gave a suspicious and kind smile at the both of us.

"I'm so sorry I'm late the council insisted on some last minute preparations for something next week." he spoke again , "Fitz informed me that he was able to sense your presence when you were around?" He said with a face that looked like he were to burst into a fit of laughter.

"Yes and we think it has something to do with us being cognates," Sophie replies noticing Tiergan's sudden change of expression, he was serious.

"It's not a cognate thing," he replied simply , "it's a Sophie Foster and Fitz Vacker thing," he added.

The two students were dumbfounded and didn't understand what he was implying.
"It's all about your hearts not your brains, you two have a special connection that's only been seen in very few couples," he said in a calm and yet very serious tone.

But it was the last part that made her skin itch and her head spin ,as her heart raced , a couple. She quickly snapped back while both Tiergan and Fitz had come to her side while she was zoned out.

Fitz seemed to have caught on when he told Tiergan, "We're not a couple," he said calmly but even if it was true it still stung her she still felt some pain to his words , she heard Tiergan mumble something along the lines of 'yet' and 'couple'.

She had started to calm down but still felt a small knot in her stomach she realized maybe Biana was wrong ,maybe Fitz didn't like her.

"Anyways ,today we will be starting on some more physical exercises" Tiergan began , "The night when you were collecting Quintessence together to stop Everblaze, you mentioned you were in close physical contact when you were able to clearly implant data into Fitz brain ,correct?"

Sophie and Fitz blushed a deep red at the memory , "Yes," they both said in unison.

"Right ,so the first part of the lesson we will be practicing using physical contact to boost our mental strengths and it seems when you're both close is when it's working at its best." He then continued "Now Fitz I want you to get in the same position as that night."

Fitz stood up rather immediately and sat on the floor ,as Sophie walked over and wrapped her arms around his shoulders and sat behind him keeping a small gap. The two tensed up but the emotions were practically radiating off of the two and they were now a deep crimson red.

She tried replaying the night and doing what she had done before ,as she reached out her conscious she tried implanting the memory's of that night but it wasn't quite working the same ,the memory's were very blurry and bits and pieces were left out.

"It's not very clear and some parts are missing," Fitz sighed , "We've tried this before ,but it didn't quite work and we tried multiple different ways none of which worked." He said with slight frustration in his voice.

"I think I know why," Tiergan spoke up , then continued "You must be completely comfortable and relaxed you need to use your biggest asset and trust each other while feeling safe."

Sophie scooted closer to Fitz and relaxed the rest of her body she moved her arms down to his waist.

It was Fitz's turn to relax ,he let all tension release from his body and moved his hands to hold onto Sophie's arms gently.

He replayed the scene in his head "Sophie you need to rest your head on my back," he said in his deep accent and calm voice. She moved her head to rest just under his neck ,and when she went to implant memory's she chose the memory of him saying that he wanted to be her cognate it made her heart flutter and her insides do flips.

Fitz let out a quite chuckle and faced Sophie "Hey ,I'm glad I'm your cognate," he said with sincerity in his deep accent voice.

"Me too."

Hope you enjoyed chapter three this was really difficult to write because I don't want to have them confess yet ,it just seems too soon :)