Chapter 1 Royal Proposal

Cover was done by ladyarchangel74

Thorin was finally taking some time off and playing his harp with Haraldur in the music room. It was rare that father and son got any time to spend together what with Thorin's busy schedule and Haraldur helping Dwalin training the new guard. So these precious moments were cherished between the both of them.

60 years had passed since the Dwarves of Erebor had reclaimed their homeland with the help of a little wizard. And in that time period, Haraldur had grown into a fine Dwarrow. He was tall for a Dwarf, as tall as Thorin, with dark hair like his father and kept his beard short in memory of those that were lost in the Battle of the Five Armies. All in all, if you didn't know of his adoption you would say that he actually was the son of Thorin King Under the Mountain.

By this time, Haraldur was also courting his One, who just so happened to be the great-granddaughter of Bard, which made Thorin very happy. He was already a great uncle but he could not wait to become a grandfather. And as they played their harps Thorin looked at his son with great fondness and remembered when the boy asked him to teach him to play.

They were suddenly interrupted when by a Balin who came rushing into the music room, “My apologies, My King, My Prince, but we have just received a raven from Lord Elrond of Rivendell.”

Thorin and Haraldur looked at each other. Putting down their harps, Thorin stood up and made his way over to Balin, “Lord Elrond you say?”

Thorin takes the letter from Balin, he reads the note. Thorin's eyes widen then he reads it again.

“Assemble the council immediately, Balin.”

“What is it, Adad?”

Thorin hands the note to Haraldur. Haraldur reads the note, his eyes widen as well, “By Mahal, this cannot be true.”

“It has to be, My Son, or else would not have called for such a council in Rivendell,” Thorin tells him, “Come, we have much to discuss.”

With that, Thorin and Haraldur make their way out of the music room to the council hall.

By the time they arrive, all the council member are present and seated. Fili and Kili along with a very pregnant Tauriel have taken their places at the table. It had taken some time for the rest of the council to trust Tauriel but after a while, she had proven to be an invaluable advisor. Thorin and Haraldur walk in and take their place. Thorin at the head with Balin at his side. While Haraldur sits next to Tauriel.

“I have called this council to order to discuss the letter that has just arrived from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. It appears the One Ring has been found.”

There was silence at first and then a huge uproar, the council began shouting at once. It was so loud and chaotic that one could not understand what was being said. Finally, Thorin called for silence.

Balin was the first to speak, “What else does the letter say, Thorin?”

“Lord Elrond asks that we send emissaries from Erebor to Rivendell to discuss what should be done with the Ring Of Power.”

“And who will you send, My King?” One of the council members asks.

“I will obviously send Haraldur. He has the best relationship with the Elves of Rivendell and speaks the language. Unfortunately, Tauriel as his sworn guard cannot go because of her condition and before you ask, Kili, you will not go either. I know that where Haraldur goes Gimli will go as well, so Gloin, you will go. Dwalin and a company of guards. I want everyone ready within a week's time.”