Are you afraid

If I die would that make everyone happy or will make things worse?
He thought. He glance at the book again. At the beginning of the book is said every life has a purpose. Everyone knows what his brother's is, but what about him? Maybe all he's good at is protecting the dark side of the tree. Despite it cost him to be bullied. Another reason is maybe he supposed to take care of Dream despite they're twins.
He sigh and decided to go to the library. One of his secret happy place. At least that was his brother calls it. He found a quiet place to read about the study of the mind when another monster bully slams the table.
"What are you doing here?" The bully asked.
"To read?" Nightmare answer. Big mistake. The monster hit and pin Nightmare by the neck-bone against a bookshelf. Causing a scene, but no one came to stop it. Nightmare tries to make him let go, but the monster's grip was too strong. He then to come up another way to get free. Many books he read pops in his mind, till he remembers the recent book.
"People torment what they fear or don't understand."
Nightmare took a breath; which was difficult for him and said in a weak voice.
"A-Are you afraid of me?"
The monster paused. Then heals the grip tighter making it difficult for Nightmare to breathe. "What you say that, monster?"
Nightmare despite feeling weak answers.
"Because many torment what they fear or don't understand," Nightmare loosen the grip a bit. "And 'monster'? Isn't that what you and some other people are as well?"
"WELL T-THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE A DEMON!" The monster yelled in frustration.
"So are some other monsters." Nightmare let out a smirk. "Hypocrite."
The monster growled in anger.
"THAT ENOUGH!" The monster slams Nightmare higher than he was originally at.
"I'M NOT AFRAID!"
"Than prove it by killing me right here, are now."
The  two can hear the quiet mumbles about if the monster really is going to kill him. After some silence the bully let go and turn to the exit. Nightmare got up slowly and rubs his neck bone. "So you are scared." He said. "No. I'm not scare. It just that you're Dream's brother."
Nightmare cross his arms. "So you actually do care about him. And here I thought that you were just using him." The monster turn. "W-whatever you're still a demon."
"That's offensive to the demons who actually live here." Nightmare replied.
"Hell spawn."
"Hypocrite."
Nightmare sigh and looked at his surroundings. As expected everyone was shocked some have their mouth gaped open. He put the books back to its self and left without saying goodbye. While waking home the librarian hit him with one of the books.
"WARLOCK!" He yelled. "I merely use verse from my mind, not from a spell book." Nightmare replies.
"Then how do you explain why you scared our strongest man in the village?"
"He was already a coward."
"You liar."
I wonder if this applies to entire village?
He thought.
"Are you afraid?" He asked.
"Don't use your mind games on me."
"So you are."
"You will never be like us Nightmare, as long as you're still alive no one will accept you or even love you."
Nightmare didn't say anything. If that monster was stubborn then the librarian was just a stubborn as he is. Just like the rest of the village both monster and human, they're all stubborn like an ass.
Nightmare continue walking feeling the eyes of disgust and hatred. If it wasn't for his belief in karma he would've gotten them back. Sometimes he even wondered how Dream found them as friends in the first place.
He went home and laid on his bed for a good while till he decided that he wants to become numb to everything.
So he went to the training area and grabbed a stickle and shave his bones till he can see his black blood. As he was about to slice off his head with it he heard a familiar voice.
"BROTHER WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" Nightmare quickly grabbed one of the curtains and hung it over himself like a cape and turn to his brother.
"I'm just inspecting the sickle." He lied.
"But why are you in the training room?" Dream asked.
"I wanted to be stronger." He answered with a lie.
"Yeah, and the cape when it's very hot out here even for you with your long shirt?" Dream ask with his arms crossed.
Nightmare look down. "You won't understand."
"You're right, unless you tell me." Dream said. Nightmare will it admit that Dream is right. Still in his mind he still see Dream as a little kid. "Leave me alone, Dream."
"No."
Dream unexpectedly grab Nightmare's arm and the cape ripped off revealing the self-inflicted wound.
Dream looked a quick look at it then back at Nightmare with a shocked expression.
"Nighty?"
"I told you that you won't understand." Nightmare what from the training area to get medical supplies they have at their home then went by the river bank to tend his wounds.
Sometimes I wish that Dream just leave me alone
He thought as he cleans up. When he left to go to bed he found a small folded up piece of paper on top of his blankets. He open it up and read it and shocked.
I know I don't understand, but I don't want you to hurt yourself like that. To tell you a secret: I look up to you. You're basically the only thing I have that's like a father figure. And you're my best friend. And I care about you.
-Dream
Nightmare put the note down and did his best to not cry. He don't know if his brother is here and if he is he don't want him to see him as weak. He can't be weak around others, otherwise they'll take advantage of him.
"So what are you think about my message?" He heard Dream. He turn around and ask him the question that was in his mind ever since the librarian drew a book at him.
"Are you scared of me?"
Dream turn his head sideways. "Why should I be scared of you?, you did nothing wrong have you?"
Nightmare chuckled a bit.
"Never mind." Dream walked away before putting on the hood in his cape Nightmare said.
"Also thanks for the note, I needed that."
Dream smile.
"You're welcome."