Twelve

Patrick

Ari was only unconscious for a few seconds, but it was enough to send her to the hospital.  Other than the bruises on her arms and her cheek, her injuries were minimal and there was no concussion.  However, the doctors were concerned about her fainting spell, so we were waiting for some test results.  She laid on the bed in the exam room while I sat next to her on the bed texting updates to my mom who was in the waiting room.

"God, I hope they come in soon," she groaned.  "I really need to pee."

"Then go pee.  They'll wait until you come back."

"Then I have to get up."

I laughed and put my phone down.  I turned and rubbed her arm.  "How are you feeling?"

"Tired, sore and hungry.  How about you?"

"I'd be happy if they'd hurry up and get in here so we can get back to the hotel."

She reached up and rubbed my back.  "Hopefully soon."

The door opened and I sat up, thinking the test results had finally come in.  I wasn't prepared for the person who walked around the curtain.  Ari gasped and clapped a hand over her mouth.

"Please don't make a sound," Sarah whispered.  "I'm not supposed to be here.  I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

Ari sat up with a wide smile.  "We got him.  I'm more than okay."

"You have no idea how glad I am to hear that.  I can't stay long.  I'm supposed to be heading off to another assignment.  But I wanted to check on you first."

"Hey, that thing you wanted me to look into?" Ari asked, causing Sarah's eyes to widen.  "He was never in Lisbon.  Whoever told you that is lying."

A look of horror crossed Sara's face.  "But I saw a video of him walking into the café."

"It's fake.  A pretty good one from the sounds of it.  I was told it would be a good idea to look into someone named Marianna Chambers."

"Marianna?  What does she have to do with it?"

Ari shrugged.  "That's just the info I was given.  Please be careful.  I can't thank you enough for what you did for us."

Tears shone in her eyes.  "You just did.  Thank you."

She peeked around the curtain and looked out in the hallway.  After hesitating for a second, she turned back to us.  "Danvers didn't know about your past with James.  Yani was there the night he confronted him about the attack.  That's how he wound up in the dungeon to begin with."

Ari let out a slow exhale and nodded.  "Thank you."

"I have to go, guys.  Please stay safe."

I opened my mouth to say something, but she quickly ran through the door and disappeared.  I turned back to Ari, who had her eyes closed.

"Are you okay?" Most of their conversation made little sense to me, but it was obvious it was an important one.

"Yeah.  It doesn't change what he did, but at least he didn't send James after me knowing about our past.  Hopefully the info I got gets her closer to who she's looking for."

I nodded and she laid back down on the bed and sighed.  My mother sent another text, causing me to sigh in frustration.  I prayed we would leave soon as I told her, yet again, we hadn't heard anything.