PART 26

It's the day of the party. Neji picks [Name] up like he promised. It's a long quiet drive, but there's excitement between them.

"So, what do you expect? From the party, I mean. I assume someone will spike the punch," Neji says, trying to start a conversation.

"I don't know. I hope not," [Name] mumbles. "I don't want to get drunk or anything."

The party starts at 7pm and continues on into the wee hours of the morning.

"Do you need a ride back or," he trails off, hoping she'll answer his open question.

"No, Gaara said he'll pick me up. He doesn't want to come. Says that Matsuri and Sari are crazy."

Neji shrugs and stops at a stoplight long enough to glance at [Name]. He quickly notices her makeup is done, and her hair is more perfect than usual.

"I wouldn't know. They seem... Nice enough."

...

They pull up to the party. Cars lined the street. The house is bumping and booming with music, rainbow lights shine from every window, and people walk in out, dancing on the front and back lawn.

"Looks like a wild party," Neji comments, turning off the engine. "You ready?"

[Name] tries to bottle up her excitement, but she's nearly bursting at the seams. "Yeah!"

They exit the car together and walk up to the door. Neji opens it, and smoke pours out in small plumes. Their ears nearly pop from the deafening sound of music.

"You should probably stick with me until Gaara comes!" Neji says, pushing past people as they continue further into the house.

"What?!"

"Stick with m-"

Neji jerks to the side and he falls into someone. He looks down to see Tenten. She grins and kisses his cheek.

"I thought you weren't coming!"

Neji shrugs, turning his head and sees [Name] disappeared.

Shit. He thinks. He tries to step away, but Tenten pulls him closer.

"Why don't we do what lovers do and find an empty room?"

Neji doesn't catch all of it, but the words 'lovers' and 'empty room' makes his ears turn red.

"Are you drunk?!"

Tenten giggles. "Just a little."

Neji stammers but comes up with a good idea to get away from her. "Well, uh, sober up, look for that empty room, and I'll come find ya, yeah?"

She wraps her arms around his neck, pulling him down to meet her lips. He can taste and smell the alcohol on her.

"Okay, I'll see you soon, lover boy."

She waves and skips off to find that room. Neji sighs out of relief and squirms his way through the dancing crowd.

"[Name]?!" Neji calls, but the music drowns out his voice. "[Name]?!"

Neji sees a lot of familiar faces, but none match [Name's] beauty. He follows the crowd upstairs, where it's a little quieter. The music still seeps through the floor, but at least Neji can hear his thoughts.

Although he isn't [Name's] boyfriend, a protective feeling builds into his chest. He's worrying for her safety.

"Neji! Come join us!"

Neji spots Matsuri down the hall, her head poking out from an open door. He shakes his head, showing full disinterest.

"[Name's] in here!"

This grabs his attention, and soon, he's in the same room. First, Neji sees [Name], a drink in her hand as she sits cross-legged next to Sasuke.

"How'd you get dragged here?" She asks him, as Neji sits across from them. Sasuke jerks his head towards the direction of Naruto.

"Well, Naruto dragged me here. And you know, he's sorta, kinda my boyfriend, so yeah," Sasuke grumbles as he sips from a red cup.

"Sasuke, you're g-"

"Shut up."

[Name] closes her mouth. She looks down into her red cup and takes a sip. It tastes weird, but Sari promised her it was just juice.

"We're gonna play truth or dare!" Matsuri announces, plopping down next to Sari.

"This is such a child's game," [Name] mumbles to Sasuke. He nods in agreement.

Sari pulls out an empty beer bottle and places it in the middle of the circle. She spins it once, and everyone sits in anticipation.

The bottle stops on Sasuke first. He rolls his eyes, and before Sari can ask the question, he says, "Dare."

Sari grins. "Well, since you and [Name] are so buddy-buddy, I dare you to kiss her."

Sasuke knows very well that [Name] is dating Gaara. He looks to her, and she turns to him, making an uncomfortable face. He doesn't want to kiss her, and the look in her eyes says she doesn't want to do this either. They're best friends. Maybe in another universe, in another life, this could have been a start to an awkward romance.

Neji stares on, grinding his teeth together.

How man more people is she going to kiss before me?! He thinks, balling his fists.

Sasuke cups her cheeks, pulling her head down to plant a kiss on her forehead. A kiss that means friendship, love, and respect.

"Hey! I told you to kiss her!" Sari sneers.

"I did you moron," Sasuke bites back. "You didn't really specify where!"

[Name] feels the heat in her cheeks and takes another sip of her drink to keep herself from grinning like a madman. Neji visibly relaxes.

It's Sasuke's turn, and he spins. The game goes on like this. There's plenty of dares involving kisses, and profound dark truths.

Matsuri's turn finally comes, and she spins the bottle, landing on [Name]. She smirks.

"Truth or Dare?" She asks, leaning close to hear the answer.

"Truth," [Name] replies, knowing if she chose dare, she'd have to kiss someone.

"Do you really love Gaara?"

[Name] blinks, surprised from the question. "Excuse me?"

"I said, do you really love Gaara? Or is it all just a pathetic act?"

...

A/N: I have nothing to say for myself. It's been too long. Love you, bye!