Adventure Awaits

My wings were torn off and my hollow bones cried out. I let out a terrible scream from my mouth. I fought my tormentor and the nausea. My adrenaline protected me from most of my pain, but soon I would have to fight conscious too.

I took a blind swing at my attacker. A mistake. The figure caught it and simply pulled it the wrong way. Broken arm. What else is he gonna break?

I need to start thinking smart. When my mind sobers up, the pain kicks in hard. I am done for. I need to finish this and now.

A fast kick on my part sweeps the cruel person to the ground. Now this is a fight I can win. The corners of my sight fuzzes over. Numbness creeps in my mind telling me to simply stop. But, no, I can't.

I pounce and an elbow catches my chin. I moan becoming more alert. Following what I learned in training, I pin the guy to the ground. That's right. I won with a broken arm and destroyed wings. I would like revenge, but I really need two arms for that.

I knock my head into his and the hit takes him out. Oh! If only I could strangle him for all the pain he caused me. But, no, that's not what heroes do.

I cuff him to a pole on a public phone and use that phone to call the police in a muffled voice. A draining glance down the grey and trashy alley beside me pushes my weak body to take several dreadful steps into the gloom. The close walls feel like friends propping me up and a rush of courage fills me.

A familiar figure slips into view. My bloody lips part in a smile. "Hey."

I fall into his arms.

"Hey," He murmurs back. I land into his open arms and finally let myself fall into the blackness surrounding my mind.

•••

With a little bit of effort I check my phone. Tuesday, July 30th. I moan out of bed. The one day I am free. I smile at the time. 5:04. Not much of a day left, but that's fine with me. I had nothing to do anyway. Not particularly hungry, I grab some chips and fling myself on my worn, brown sofa.

The problem of the day is to chose what to watch. "The Flash?" No, I need to watch it from the beginning again. "Once Upon A Time." Yes, please! I click on the episode and watch Emma, Mary, and Mulan face ogres. How nice to have an adventure. I look out of my window to the dying sun. If only something like that was out there for me. I frown and turn back to the television.

Knock. Knock. The sound came from my window. I turn back startled. A very handsome man stood there gazing at me with a conflicted expression. My instincts reacted immediately. I grab a vase beside me and walk over to my glass slide door.

I open the door a pinch. "Who are you? What are you doing here?"

The man's face falls into disrepair. "You really don't remember me, do you?"

I don't answer and my grip tightens on the vase. 

"I'm sorry." The man raises his hands in surrender. "I mean you no harm."

I raise my eyebrows back in response.

"My name is Rubble." He gave me a sly grin. "I'm here to ask you a favor."

Rubble rings a bell in the deepest corners of my mind. Not completely trusting him, I hold onto my vase and slide the door a little wider. "Well, what is it?" I ask gruffly.

"I need you to come back with me." His grey eyes plead with me.

"Are you crazy?" I simply say.

"Yes and no." He laughs. He holds my gaze and the smile in his eyes melt. Seriousness covers his face turning into stone. I intake a sharp breath. This is also familiar to me. "How can I prove myself to you so you can trust me?"