Silent Man

In an alternate world where humans coexist with monsters and magic is the norm, Lou Carson is a teenage girl who enjoys her simple and magical life. One day, her life changes when an exchange student named Keito Ishimaru transfers to her school. However, she is surprised that her new classmate is, in fact, an immortal being known to the world as the Silent Man. Knowing he has been chased for centuries, Lou makes it her duty to protect Keito from those who seek his head. But when the two realize that Keito is being targeted by a mysterious man named Nathaniel, they must gather other magic users and fight against his dark mercenaries together.

Characters

Louisa "Lou" Carson: The main female protagonist. She is a sixteen-year-old extroverted tomboy with short disheveled light brown hair, freckled skin, and green eyes. She lives in Island Row, a fictional suburban area in Los Angeles, with her older sister, Robin, while her parents are out of the country. Upon discovering Keito's identity as the Silent Man, she decides to devote herself to his protection. She specializes in Forest Magic, but she was only taught the basics by her witch mother. Because of this, she is only capable of controlling plants and empathizing with other living things, including animals and people. That is until she begins to learn about spells from Callisto and discovers that she a Maiden, a class of Magic-User that is said to be compatible with immortals. Lou's kindness and optimism often has other people enjoy her company. However, Keito points out that although he admires her bravery and selflessness, the latter could lead to her downfall as well as her reckless, naive, and impulsive behavior. Lou's Magus Weapon-a conjured tool used by Magic-Users-is a dagger dubbed "Leaf Dagger," which is capable of changing form based on what spell she uses.

Keito Ishimaru: The main male protagonist and the eponymous Silent Man. Though he is chronologically a hundred sixty years old, he is physically sixteen with silver hair, pale skin, and brown eyes. He is often depicted as someone who covers his face with a black facemask and a hooded cape. He specializes in Balance Magic, a rare form of magic created by using both Light and Dark Magic. Due to this, he is deemed dangerous and has been a constant target to all magic communities in the world. His reputation and the events in his traumatic past leave him apprehensive and pessimistic. However, he begins to admire Lou's bravery and selflessness to the point where he cares about her reputation and welfare, always making sure that she doesn't do something she will regret in the future. His Magus Weapon is a spear codenamed "Silver Shadow," which is capable of reaping the souls of his opponents.

Arthur: A Puca who poses as Keito's familiar. His human form has olive skin, gold eyes, shaggy black hair with a white streak in his bangs, a pair of cat ears, and a tail. Like all Pucai, he can transform into an animal at will. In his case, he can transform into a black cat. He also has a strong sense of hearing and smell. He is fiercely loyal and protective of Keito, and also bellicose when fighting his master's pursuer. However, he lacks empathy and occasionally clashes with Lou for Keito's praise and attention, much to the annoyance of Lou, Keito, and Hanzo. He doesn't start caring for the safety of those around him until later on.

Winifred Darcy: Lou's classmate who is in the same year as her. She has platinum blonde hair that is constantly braided, fair skin, and blue eyes. She comes from a wealthy family and due to a lack of social skills, she is ill-tempered and demanding. This is also because of the disappearance of her older sister, Eloise. Some point in the story, she will warm up to her peers and learn to trust them. She specializes in Ice Magic, having the ability to freeze her opponents and forming large structures with them. Her Magus Weapon is a parasol codenamed "Swan Frost," which makes whirlwinds of ice and snow; she also uses it to drift to the ground and fly.

Hanzo Kumashiro: An anthropomorphic Onikuma that takes the appearance of a polar bear. He is well known to Lou, her friends, and her sister, for they frequently visit the coffee shop he works at. Being Keito and Arthur's current guardian, he is protective of them and is highly concerned by Lou's involvement. However, he admires Lou's bravery and selflessness and poses as a mentor for her when it comes to physical combat. He specializes in Astral Magic, having the ability to see the future by viewing the stars, summon magical shields, and can even put people to sleep with one touch. His Magus Weapon is a gauntlet on his right hand called "Ursa's Wrath," which can slice and break anything with one or a few strikes.

Jacqueline "Jackie" Marsh: A fifteen-year-old British girl with short auburn hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. She is a recruit who works for Monster Hunter Corps, an international organization that slays feral monsters and demons who intend to harm others and wreak havoc. She carries around a sword with cyan highlights, which can absorb magic so she can send it back when ready. She is inquisitive, hyperactive, and on some occasions, clumsy. Despite this, she is fast, sharp-witted, and takes her role as a monster hunter seriously. Initially sent to Island Row on a mission, she joins Lou and her group after learning about their dilemma. She is accompanied by a mute and gluttonous child-like demon named Valentine, who was accidentally summoned by Jackie when she was twelve. Due to their friendship, she is a "Demon Tamer," a title which is given when a monster hunter forms a contract with a demon.

Preview

"You had to stab me fifteen times?!" Keito furiously shouted as he clutched the area on his chest where Lou stabbed him.

"I could've stabbed you twenty-eight times, but that would get me expelled if anyone found out," She replied, shrugging as she cleaned the pocket knife with the wet tissue. "And to be honest with you, I'm surprised you're not dead. So, let me ask you again. Can you die?"

"No..." He groaned in defeat.

"Ah-ha! So, you are the mythical Silent Man!" Lou shouted, pointing the now-clean knife at him.

"So, you heard the stories, I see..."

"Every single one!" She confirmed.

Keito furrowed his eyebrows at her before pushing himself back to his feet. "Is this because of last night? You dragged me to the back of the school after class to stab me fifteen times in the chest to see if I was immortal?"

"That was the point." Deadpans Lou. "Anyway, how did you become immortal?"

"I don't want to talk about that. Now, let's get out of here before-" Keito was suddenly disrupted when the two heard the bell ring.