Chapter 1 [rewritten]

Chapter 1; New Neighbor

Mikasa laid down on her bed, her back vertically across her mattress as she threw a small tennis ball to the ceiling. The small ball hit the ceiling and fell back down as Mikasa caught it and repeated the action over and over again.

Along her forearm were a few scars from cuts that were slowly fading. However, it didn't take a genius to know that these were self-inflicted cuts.

A knock sounded from her door, making the ebony girl freeze and miss the ball, letting it land on her face and squish her nose.

"Mikasa? You in there?" A low voice asked form the other side of the door.

Mikasa sat up and, in a rush, threw a loose grey jacket over her light pink t-shirt to hide her cuts but didn't touch her grey shorts.

Her brother, Levi, always hated it when he saw her cut.

"Y-Yeah." She said once she opened the door to see her brother.

"Since you're not doing anything, do you want to help me clean?" Levi suggested.

"Uhm, I can't." She said slowly, trying to give herself time to think of an excuse. "I actually wanted to go on a walk." She spoke.

Levi rose a brow as his eyes trailed over her body. When he saw her jacket, his brow was only raised higher.

"Why are you wearing a jacket? It's nearly 86 degrees." He asked sternly. Mikasa bit her lip, her brain fried from the heat and unable to think of an excuse.

"Please don't tell me that you've been cutting." Levi spoke with a tone that surprisingly held emotion, something alien to Mikasa.

"I-I wasn't." Her voice was quiet in response that it's a surprise that Levi even heard her.

Levi grabbed Mikasa's wrist and pulled the sleeves up and saw the cuts.

"Mika, why have you been cutting?" Levi asked.

Mikasa recoiled her hand to her chest as she used the pad of her thumb on her other hand to rub her cuts. "I wasn't." She spoke even quieter than before.

"Mika..."

"I said that I wasn't! Okay?" Mikasa rose her voice. She averted her gaze from her brother as a pit formed in her stomach.

'Why am I yelling at the only person who cares about me?'

She let a sigh pass over her lips. "Levi, I wasn't cutting. This is just an injury from school." She spoke even quieter.

Levi rose a brow but decided not to pry.

Nothing good ever came out of him prying in his sister's business.

"Okay," he breathily responded.

Mikasa closed the door slowly and waited for Levi's footsteps to pass before she sunk to the floor.

'I should go out on that walk. I need to clear my mind.' She thought.

And with that, Mikasa left their house.

Mikasa trotted through her neighborhood with a grey shirt and black jeans. Her forearms were clothes with long gloves that hid her cuts, the gloves that she always wore.

They were simple, black, fingerless, and long enough to cover her cuts. The gloves reached just below her elbow pit, and Mikasa wore them with every outfit.

She kicked some rocks as she approached a small bench, hidden in the park she was at. It was shaded by trees and Mikasa called it her little spot.

She sat down on the bench and opened a book that she had in her hand, flipping to the page with the bookmark.