Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Day comes, and I have to face reality once again. We need more food. Instead of setting out immediately, I stick around to help fix the shelter. Around midday, we take a break, sitting in the shade.

"It's hotter than hell out right now." Jess pants.

"Hell? I feel like we passed that heatwave a while back." Kayla jokes.

We sit for a while, letting the hottest hour of the day pass. Continuing our work is painful, but there's not much left to do now. Afterwards, everyone breaks apart. Jess and Aria will go get water and everyone else will forage for edible things nearby. I take my weapons, and prepare to head out.

"You're not going far, are you?" Kayla asks.

"Somewhat, yeah. Just to get away from being close by, and catch some small game. I might not be back until late, but hopefully I'll have some game." I say.

"Could I come with you?" Kayla asks.

"Could you... I don't know. I need a hunter, Kayla. You have to be silent, watchful, and do everything I say." I say.

"I can do that." Kayla says.

I bite my lip, debating on wether to let her go. This could work out, and she could learn. Or it could mess things up, and we starve. Kayla's going to remember my choice today either way.

"Alright, grab your spear and let's go." I say.

I tell everyone Kayla is coming with me, and a few eyebrows are raised but there's no real issue. None of them are up to trapping or hunting yet, so no one's willing to argue. Kayla and I make our way away from the camp, edging out into the Northwest rather than somewhere I've been before.

We've set up a few traps in the surrounding area, and are currently watching a larger one. Kayla and I sit in silence, watching, waiting. She taps me, gesturing to the small basket she'd been weaving out of long grass. The weaving is loose, but it's a good start because she has the right weaving style. I give her a thumbs up. The evening sun is harsh, but we fair okay underneath our shade tree. I'm just about to stand up, when I see something dirty brown.

It's a jackrabbit, about to fall into the apricot trap we set. Fall, is a lose term. A twenty pound rock is about to fall on him. I suspect though, that it won't be enough to kill it unless... The rock falls, falling on the back end of the rabbit. I watch as the Jack rabbit struggles out it from underneath it.

"Let's move." I say.

I get to my feet, following the partially paralyzed large rabbit.

"Can we catch it?" Kayla asks behind me.

"It's hurt." I say.

I move fast, and Kayla falls behind. The rabbit makes its way through tall grass. It stirs up a lot of the grass in it's wake, not making it hard to spot as I pursue it. As soon as it breaks from the trees, I see that it's slowing. I discard my spear, and take the machete, jumping over a log and pouncing.

I strike the leg, pinning it down into the dirt. The machete goes halfway in the dirt, I'd used the weight of my body to make sure I stuck to my target. The jackrabbit kicks, crying out in a way injured animals destined for death do.

I ignore the pit it creates in my stomach, and Grant him the mercy of a quick death. I tie its legs together to carry it.

I appraise the rabbit, he's at least eight pounds. A very robust male, probably because this is purely wild terrain. I wonder, how big do they get here? This one has enough meat for us to have a meal tonight. That's not a bad catch. I freeze whirling around when I hear someone. Kayla freezes, putting her hands up.