Chapter 0.3

The day of the wedding had arrived. Mum and I got up early to begin the preparations. She is going to make a beautiful bride, I could already tell. My grandmother Mum's best friend, Becca and all the stylists arrived by 1:30 pm, leaving us 2 hours to prepare, since the church was about 45 minutes away, with the ceremony starting at 5 pm. Leaving Mum 45 minutes for any mishaps that might occur, before getting ready to walk the aisle.

NATHAN: How are things going over there? x

Nathan's with Des as he is his best man, as well as Des's brother and friend Jonothan.

ANGEL: Good! Mum seems so happy, it's really nice x

NATHAN: Des said his son Harry was invited to the wedding but may just come after, odd right?

ANGEL: That is weird, hasn't it been like 2 years since they saw each other last?

NATHAN: Yeah, that's what I thought.

ANGEL: Well we gotta make him feel welcome, he is going to be my stepbrother after all x

I switched my phone off and looked over at my mum who had her hair pinned back in the same way my grandma had done it for her own wedding and her makeup was almost done and flawless. I couldn't wait for the day to come when Nathan and I get married.

We all helped mum slip into her dress and then got ready ourselves. I put on the peach dress mum had gotten for me as her bridesmaid. (pictured on the first page if on mobile or at the top if on a PC).

I did a peach smokey eye to match the dress and gave myself beach curls to finish the look. I wore my white low converse and a bracelet that Des had got me while he was in New Zealand. It was silver with pink and white gems on it.

We all got in the car and made our way to the church. Mum looked nervous but as beautiful as ever. She practiced her vows the whole way there. Time went by fast and finally, the ceremony was about to commence. The church was mostly empty. The only people that got invited were Des' mum, Grandma, Grandpa, 2 of mum's high school friends, her sister, Nathan, and Des' best friend and brother and of course, Harry, who seemed to be a no show.

The music began and the doors opened, revealing mum walking down the aisle with her arm around grandpa's arm. I could see from the front that mum's eyes were full of tears, she was so happy.

"Anastasia you may read your vows now."

She smiled and looked to Des. "Oh great."

Soft laughter filled the church but she continued.

"Des, since the moment I laid my eyes on you, I knew I wanted you to myself. You are so kind and compassionate and my love for you is never-ending. It's so hard to find someone after the first marriage, you lose hope in the concept and after the incident where I lost my previous husband, I am so grateful to have found someone who I want to spend the rest of my life with. The love you give me and my daughter warms my heart. I love the positive influence you are to both of us and help us become better women. My love, you are the reason I am who am now, and the reason for my happiness."

They both had tears in their eyes.

"That's going to be hard to beat." Des started, he cracked a smile and wiped his tears away. "Well, I thought I'd keep it short and sweet, just like you."

We all laughed.

"Ana, you are so gracious and big-hearted. I love the way you see life and the people around you. Your charity work and your selflessness are what first drew me to you and since then you've kept my world spinning. When I marry you, not only will I be blessed with such a beautiful wife, but I will get to spend time with my favorite girl, Angel. I love you both and I can't wait to see what this family has in store for us."

The rest of the ceremony was beautiful, they put on their rings and when they kissed, I was sure fireworks were erupting. That evening, we had them all for dinner at our place. It was a very informal wedding which is what they had wanted.

The fight was filled with toasts, an amazing roast, and too much champagne. It was now 1:30 am and everyone had left. Mum had gone to bed and Des and I were tidying up after our guests. I heard a bang come from the sliding door out near the deck but Des didn't seem to notice so I brushed it off.

I had just finished showering and I put a towel on my head and wrapped one around my body. When I stepped out of the bathroom into the hallway I heard the floor behind me creak. Startled, I turned around. There was only one light on in the hallway so it was dark, but I could see a man in dark clothes and curly hair. I was frozen as the man took a step towards me.

"Did I miss the wedding?" The voice was deep and very British.

"H-harry?" I guessed. Who else could it be? Des had said he was coming to stay with us for a while.

"Who are you and why are you in my house?" He sounded annoyed, tired and also drunk? He walked towards me and turned the light over our heads on.

I looked up at him, and I was in awe. He had shaggy brown hair that looked soft and clean and he had a bandana wrapped around his forehead. His eyes were an intense shade of green, I could feel them boring into my soul, invading my mind and my thoughts, their sight brought goosebumps to the surface of my skin. I trailed my eyes down to his lips and then down his body, shamelessly looking at his tattoos peeking through the top of his button-up shirt and along his arms.

He coughed and my head shot up to face his. His face was blank in expression, he seemed almost bored with me. My cheeks went red and I squeezed my hands into fists to hide my embarrassment. "A-angel." I choked out, "I'm Angel, Anastasia's daughter."

He kept the blank expression on his face before nodding and brushing past me, making my shoulder collide with his arm. I didn't dare let out a breath until I heard his bedroom door close. The redness left my face but quickly returned again when I realized our first encounter occurred with me in just a towel. I was flustered.

-

The next morning came and I woke up to the light shining through my curtains. I didn't want to get up and see Harry, he was rude and I was still embarrassed from last night. But nevertheless, I got dressed and came downstairs to see Des, mum, and Harry at the table eating waffles.

"Goodmorning darling." Mum was the first to see me come down, giving me a warm smile. Harry's back was facing me and he didn't turn to look at me.

I sat at the table next to mum and across from Harry and Des.

"Angel this is my son Harry, he only got in this morning."

I dared to look at him only to see him staring right at me, his blank expression was replaced with a cheeky smirk. His hair was wet and drooped over his forehead. He wore a plain black tee that fit his broad shoulders like a dream.

"Hello Angel, I guess I'm your stepbrother." His voice was like music to my ears. It wasn't as raspy as last night, more stern and British though.

I gulped and gave a half-smile in return. He's here, the infamous stepson. But he is not at all what I expected.