Shigeru and Mei

"Happy birthday, Mei."

That's what Shigeru said to his younger sister as he show her his surprise on top of that dusty table: A cake he made with only rice and sugar.

It's her 7th birthday right now.

It's April 15, 2165

Yes. It's the year 2165. Although it's not like the modern future you are expecting where there are flying cars and very high towers that reaches the space. It's actually very different. If you ignore the ruins of buildings, It's actually a lot less modern. There are more trees and a lot less people compared to our world. The towns are hidden in the woods, mountains, or islands and surronded with layer of tall walls. The houses are made with the materials that came from the wreckage of the buildings or the ruined and abondoned buildings themselves.

"Yay thank you nii-chan."

She said to his big brother.

"Are you happy?"

"Yes, but I would be happier if mom and dad are here."

Their mom died two years ago because of an unknown disease.

They haven't seen their dad ever since Mei's birth.

Shigeru has been working ever since.

"Don't worry, I know mom is watching us from somewhere and dad will absolutely come back."

"Hey, nii-chan"

"Yes"

"Do you think those weird creatures will attack us again?"

After that question, there has been a long moment of silence.

Then Shigeru kneel down in front of her and hold her shoulders.

"Don't be afraid. Nii-chan will always protect you. I'll never leave your side."

He then give her a hug.

"Now let's eat"

"Ittadakimasu"

After eating the cake, Shigeru stand up and fetch his hatchet. He also wore his boots.

"Nii-chan, are you leaving"

"Yes but don't worry, I'll be home before the night so we could play."

He then left.

He carefully walked through the quiet streets in the town because there are a lot of debris, nails and shards on the way.

He's going to chop woods for others. That's how he earn money for their living.

After many hours of work and finally receiving his payment that is barely enough for 3 days of food, he walks back to his home......

That's when he hears the siren and the announcement from the speaker in a pole in the middle of the town.

"EMERGENCY ALERT! EMERGENCY ALERT! THERE ARE CELLS COMING. STAY INSIDE YOUR SHELTER AND CLOSE YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS. AGAIN AGAIN, EMERGENCY ALERT!...."

The announcement repeats again and again.

He, without hesitation, rushed to his sister at home. He didn't care about that bag of money that he dropped and left behind. He is really afraid. He ran with all his energy, sweat running through his forehead. He's panting, gasping for oxygen. He stepped on a nail so long that it penetrates through his left foot but he doesn't but he did not feel any pain because the only thing that in his mind is his Mei.

He then heard a lot of explosion from different directions. Followed by screaming of people. Really huge trees and rocks are flying. He is now really worried because all those started were in the direction of his house.