Chapter 5

Gawi was a new restaurant on Manhattan's west side. Lara had been there a few times, and thought it served the best Korean food she'd ever tasted outside of South Korea. It normally had a two-week waiting list for reservations, but one phone call from Meryl got Lara a reservation for noon.

She arrived at the restaurant and the waiter seated her quickly at a large table near the window.

As she studied the menu, she noticed people whispering and pointing at her out of the corner of her eye. It wasn't unexpected since her many TV and public appearances promoting the Foundation, plus numerous celebrity puff profiles on her, had made Lara a fashion and pop culture icon. She pretended not to notice as people took pictures of her with their phones.

One young woman came to the table with a shy smile. "Excuse me, aren't you Lara Bradford?"

Lara smiled. "Yes."

The woman held out her hands. ""I'm so sorry to bother you, but I just wanted to say I think you're so amazing and beautiful. Your charity work and your clothes, they are such an inspiration. My daughters look up to you so much. Can I just get a picture with you?"

"Oh, of course. In fact, let's take a video. May I?"

The woman handed over her phone, and Lara tapped the camera while asking, "What are your daughters' names?"

"Kaylee and Marcy."

Lara positioned the phone so the camera showed both of them and tapped record before saying, "Hi, Kaylee and Marcy. This is Lara Bradford, and you can be anything you want to be. Your mother will help you make it happen."

When she handed the phone back, the young woman hugged the phone to herself and said, "Thank you so much, you're awesome!"

"You're welcome, stay strong."

Lara wasn't there long before Seline came in. Seline looked small and frail as always, wearing an emerald green Calvin Klein dress. Lara stood and hugged Seline for a long time.

Seline pulled back to frown up at her. "Lara, you need to tell me what's going on."

Lara sat down. "I will. I promise."

When the waiter came, Lara ordered a bottle of red wine. Before Seline opened her mouth, Lara turned to her and said, "I know. It's only noon. Believe me, I need it."

As they waited for the wine to be brought to the table, Debra arrived. Taller than Lara but with the same sharp nose and slender build, Debra wore a white Altuzarra pantsuit, and carried a huge Chanel purse.

Debra spread her hands wide as she approached the table. "Lara, I can't believe you're still conscious after the day you've had."

Lara hugged her as tight as she could. "I'm kind of surprised about it, too."

When the waiter came with their wine, he held three glasses, and filled them all after setting them down on the table. Lara had to force herself to sip at her glass instead of downing the whole thing in one gulp.

The waiter clasped his hands. "So good to see you all this afternoon. Mrs. Bradford, Miss Benedict, Mrs. Levine. Can I start you off with some appetizers?"

Lara shook her head. "No, thanks. Are you ready to order, ladies?"

Seline and Debra both nodded so Lara said, "I'll have the spicy pork bulgogi with kimchi."

Debra handed back her menu. "I'll have the spicy stir fried octopus."

Seline made a face. "Ew."