28. the rogue bludger

     SINCE THE DISASTROUS EPISODE OF THE pixies, Professor Lockhart had not brought living creatures to class

     SINCE THE DISASTROUS EPISODE OF THE pixies, Professor Lockhart had not brought living creatures to class. Instead he read passages from his books to them, and sometimes re-enacted some of the more dramatic bits. He usually picked Harry to help him with these reconstructions. Harper knew how stupid he found it, but they had to keep Lockhart in a good mood to let their plan work.

That's why Harry acted as a werewolf without complaining.

"Nice loud howl, Harry—exactly—and then, if you'll believe it, I pounced—like this—slammed him to the floor—thus—with one hand, I managed to hold him down—with my other, I put my wand to his throat—I then screwed up my remaining strength and performed the immensely complex Homorphus Charm—he let out a piteous moan—go on, Harry—higher than that—good—the fur vanished—the fangs shrank—and he turned back into a man. Simple yet effective—and another village will remember me forever as the hero who delivered them from the monthly terror of werewolf attacks."

The bell rang and Lockhart got to his feet.

"Homework: compose a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga werewolf! Signed copies of Magical Me to the author of the best one!"

The class began to leave and Harry made his way back towards Ron, Hermione and Harper who were sitting in the back of the class.

"Ready?" he muttered and Harper nodded.

"Wait till everyone is gone," Hermione said nervously. "All right . . ." She approached Lockhart's desk, a piece of paper clutched tightly in her hand, Harry, Ron and Harper right behind her.

"Er—Professor Lockhart?" Hermione stammered. "I wanted to-to get this book out of the library. Just for background reading." She held out the piece of paper, her hand shaking slightly. "But the thing is, it's in the Restricted Section is the library, so I need a teacher to sign for it—I'm sure it would help me understand what you say in Gadding with Ghouls about slow-acting moves . . ."

"Ah, Gadding with Ghouls!" Lockhart said, taking the note from Hermione and smiling widely at her. "Possibly my very favorite book. You enjoyed it?"