chapter 2 - selena

"No.. Ye- No.. N-no, I really.. Listen, I don't know whether an ice cube counts as food or as a drink. Can you just stop calling me while I'm at work?" I said as I was making someone's order ready.

My best friend Katy, who moved to Minnesota about three months ago, had called me up during my shift once again. I've told her many times not to call me around a certain time, but it never dawned on her for some reason.

"I'm sorry, Demi. It's just.. I miss you so much and now that you have a new job, you always seem busy." She said.

I could hear she was upset and to be honest, she had every right to be so. I sighed as I placed a Sprite and two hotdogs on a tray and gave that to the black woman in front of me. She thanked me and I threw her a quick smile, letting her know it was my pleasure to serve her.

"It's okay, Kat. I miss you too, but I can't afford to lose this job because my best friend keeps calling me during my shift to ask questions about an ice cube. You know how much I love this place." I said.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I won't call you again. Now get your ass back to work, ma'am." Katy said.

I chuckled and said goodbye before hanging up and putting my phone back in my pocket.

I walked inside the kitchen and looked around. I sighed when I realized I was on my own today. Bailey was able to get a day off so she could go to a concert in town and Daisy was upstairs, in the office. I was just about to make myself a hamburger when I heard the bell. I had learned that the bell was placed on the counter so customers didn't have to scream whenever there was no one to help them. I quickly made my way to the customer and put on my best smile.

"Hello, welcome to Daisy's Dinner. How can I help you?" I asked.

"Can I have a six piece chicken nuggets, three cheeseburgers without cheese and.. A Sprite and two lattes?" The girl said.

It was hard for me not to start laughing at her order.

"Are you sure you want cheeseburgers without.. Without cheese?" I asked with a grin.

She confidently nodded and agressively pulled her credit card out of her pocket.

"Why don't you just order three hamburgers instead?" I asked.

The girl sighed.

"Who's the customer here? Right, that's me. Stop whining or I'll tell my mom to fire you." She said.

She smashed the credit card on the counter and folded her arms.

"You're.. You're Daisy's daughter?" I asked surprised.

She nodded.

"I'm Lynn. Not so nice to meet you." She said.

I frowned and grabbed her credit card from the counter. It felt warm, probably because it had been in her pocket for a long period of time. I put the card on the machine and filled in the amount. When that was done, I gave back the card and started preparing her order.

"I expect you to bring it to my table. I'll be sitting there." She said, pointing at a table next to the door where two other girls where staring at us.

"Sure!" I said with fake enthusiasm.

I saw her walking away in the corner of my eye.

A loud sigh escaped my mouth as I went inside of the kitchen.

"Ofcourse, princess! I'll just bring your order even though there's more people in the restaurant!" I said to myself.

I walked up to the baking tray and threw three hamburgers on it. While the hamburgers were slowly cooking, I put six chicken nuggets in one of the four frying pans.