Chapter 1

Chapter 1

                                       Annabelle 

                                           Then

I stare intently at myself in the mirror, wondering if I have made the right choices for today. Is winged liner too 'out there' for your wedding day? Maybe it's too bland and I won't stand out enough. I went for a rosy pink lip, even though my mother insisted I wear red. Michelle also voted for red. At the time I thought red would look tacky, but now I'm wondering if they were right. In fact, I'm rethinking everything right now. Did I choose the right dress or does it make me look frumpy? Are the flowers too bland? I haven't even seen the reception hall but Lucy promises it looks beautiful. Lucy thinks everything looks beautiful when there are flowers involved though, so I don't really know if I can take her word for it.

"You alright?" Lucy asks as she holds a string of pearls in front of my neck and then a silver diamond necklace.

"I don't think she needs a necklace." My sister barks, "The lace is already so overpowering." Lucy walks away as she starts to clean up the room.

"I'm so nervous." I breathe.

"Hell I would be nervous too." Michelle says, "Imagine having sex with the same person for the rest of your life." She cringes.

"No it's not that," I say, "The only thing I am sure of today is becoming Mrs. Snow." I smile like a fifteen year old girl. "There's no doubt in my mind about Victor. I'm just hoping everything is in order. It's obviously kind of a big day and I just want everything to be perfect."

"It will be." Lucy smiles as she rubs my arm trying to calm me down.

Lucy's right, I know she is. I wish I could stop fretting over the things that won't matter tomorrow, but I guess we are just wired that way. Beyond my nerves sky-rocketing and the blazing heat, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with a man as wonderful as Vic. Building our careers together, seeing each other grow and starting a family together. I can see Vic coaching the soccer team or the little league club, maybe there will even be ballet recitals to attend. When I think about the fact that we might have a daughter one day I can't help but feel slightly amused. That poor girl won't be able to date until she's out of the house. Forget attending all of her friends wild sweet sixteen parties, Vic won't have it.

Though the idea is nice, what's important right now is getting myself ready to walk down that aisle, and hopefully not falling my ass off.

"Knock, Knock." My mom peaks into the room, "Can I have a moment with my daughter girls." My sisters eyes sparkle, probably thinking we are going to have a sister moment. "The bride, Elizabeth." She says and my sister storms out of the room. What a little brat she has always been. "I got you something." She smiles as she hands me a small gift bag. "It's Pandora, quite expensive." She boasts. I don't think she would be as happy if I wasn't marrying someone quite as well off as Victor. My mother has never thought I would be able to do something with my life. That's why she drilled marriage into our heads since a young age. I'll prove her wrong someday.

"Thanks mom." I say.

"Your father ought to be here any minute. He will probably want to have a chat with you as well before he gives his eldest child away." She says, stifling a fake cry. "I'll see you out there. Just have someone fix your hair, there's a tendril hanging in the back." She says frowning as she walks out.

Lucy makes her way in, "From your fiance." She says handing me an envelope looking flushed. I haven't known her for very long, but she has become a dear friend, and she's a sucker for romance. I knew I had to make her a bridesmaid. With shaking fingers I open the envelope, hoping I won't cry because my make-up artist has already left and the last thing I need is mascara running down my face.

My love,

It feels like we have waited for this day, for an eternity, when in reality this is only the beginning of our forever. Knowing you, you're probably a ball of stress. Everything is perfect, the reception hall looks just like the pictures you spent hours googling. All of the seating is perfect, our mothers are sat with the biggest gossips so they won't annoy us. Luckily neither of them has noticed so they haven't gone and changed it.

Lucy did a stellar job with the cake, it looks amazing. None of the groomsmen are drunk as of yet which is a new record for them. So stop stressing, your hair looks perfect, your make-up looks perfect. You are perfect. And no I didn't sneak in a glimpse. I just know. You could come out in a brown paper bag and you would still look perfect.

It's our special day, we only get to do this once. So calm your lovely self down and take it in, because before we know it, we will be married for ten years with three screaming children running around the house. Living our best life.

Love,

Your soon to be Husband.

I barely have the time to start sobbing about the letter before my father barges in. I set the letter down on the bed as I laugh, "Here let me help you." He's forty eight and still doesn't know how a tie works.

"You look breath taking." He smiles.

"Don't cry dad, you'll make me cry."

He sniffs, "I'm not crying. I'm not very good with words, you know that." He says and I laugh, "But I just want you to know I love you very much, and I'm so proud to be your father."

"Now I am going to cry." I say as I hug him.

Michelle hands me my flowers, whilst Beth and Lucy straighten out my dress. All three of them are draped in beautiful golden silk, flowing like melted metal. My father's arm is wrapped around mine and I can tell he just wants to get the formalities over so he can go and eat. Classic dad. I hear the music starting to play inside the chapel as my heart starts to race.

Michelle walks in first as my maid of honour, boy did that spark up a load of drama with Elizabeth. I remember her saying 'but I'm your sister, how can you make her your maid of honour.' Now I know I did make the right choice as Beth takes one more selfie before entering the chapel. Lucy gives me a toothy grin before she follows in after her.

"Ready?" My dad asks. I nod and smile. This is it, it's all so real now. And for the first time, I realise that my life is actually only just starting.