Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Duke

Now

I can't remember the last time I met someone as interesting as Annabelle Snow. At this moment in time I can't believe how much sadness and anger I had towards people in the past, who couldn't shine a torch to Anna. Women who weren't career driven or didn't even possess and ounce of intelligence. But everyone deserves to be treated well, and at least I can say I did my part. I could listen to her stories for hours on end, the way she composes and articulates herself just draws you in completely. I'm so infatuated with her, I don't hear a word coming out of her mouth. I know she's talking about something in the line of art. All I can focus on is the candlelight creating a magic like ambiance behind her wavy, mousy brown hair. Also, how often she uses hand gestures when talking and it amuses me quite a bit. I think she's talking about a Monet now. I remember her going on and on about his work last night, she was so passionate when talking about his technique and his use of colour. I feel about Anna the way she feels about a Monet. The feeling she gets when she goes to an art gallery and she gets lost in a work of art, a masterpiece, that's how I feel when I look at her.

That's probably saying a lot, I mean, what do I really know about her except that she loves paintings and she's getting divorced. I also made an oath not to get involved with a client again. Not just because it's unprofessional but because it goes against everything I stand for. It totally throws off my moral compass. You wouldn't expect it by looking at me, but I'm a traditional guy. It sounds pretty contradicting seeing as I'm technically seeing a married woman. But I really am. I want everything traditional. I want the house in the suburbs, with the white picket fence and the Labrador to play fetch with. Three kids to come home to, coaching soccer or basketball, helping with school projects and the science fair. Most of all a wife. A partner for life. Someone who will always be there for you. You would think those are mundane things to want out of life, but you'd be surprised how many people end up never having those things. Except the Labrador, most lonely people get a pet eventually. People who have had all of those things still ended up in my office. Wanting to end it all. Once again, humanity being ungrateful for the blessings they are too blind to see. Blinded by lust and adventure, excitement and materialism. I don't think that's the case with Anna though. She seems like the kind of woman who would fight to keep something alive, something she was once so passionate about.

I bet it's all from his side. And boy was he stupid to let her ever slip through his fingers. I'll make sure he knows that, someday. "This is a bit awkward," She says as I decide to actually start listening to her again and snap out of my daydream. "I just want to say I'm sorry about the letter." She takes a sip of her wine and I can see her cheeks turn a little pink.

I chuckle, "That's alright." It really is. I knew I would hear from her again soon. I was just hoping it wouldn't be her telling me she wanted a different lawyer to handle her divorce. But she didn't say that. And that's how I know she likes me too.

"It wasn't anything personal, I mean last night was great," She says, she looks as though she's struggling to get out the words that she really wants to say. "I guess I was just confused, or in shock. Something like that. It was just,"

"Overwhelming?" I interject and I see her start to relax.

"Sort of," She shrugs, "I felt a little bit guilty," She says and she looks at me, I can't exactly read the expression on her face, "I know it's stupid, I shouldn't feel guilty."

"It's not stupid," I reassure her, "but you shouldn't feel guilty, you did everything you could to make your marriage work didn't you? Sometimes the universe has other plans for us."

"I really did try, but marriage is a two way street." She says pouring herself another glass of wine.

"So, how was the birthday party?" I ask, trying desperately to change the subject. I am her divorce lawyer so I guess I can't avoid it forever.

"It was alright, I mean it's a two year olds party, there's only so much fun you can have being the soon to be divorced lady with no children." She says and I laugh. I like to think she might have feelings for me, that there might be a spark, but somehow the topic of her divorce is always sliding into the conversation. I can't really blame her, her whole life is changing and that can be quite scary. Planning a future with someone, expecting to have forever and having it end so abruptly. It can't be easy. I can't expect her to forget about him, especially not so soon. "So, what did you get up to today?"

I tell her a bunch of bullshit to make myself seem much more interesting than I actually am. If you have a fancy job title or one that people think holds a great amount of intellect, you are held up to a certain expectation. People think I spend my free time in museums, or reading up about law. Why would I continue reading about something that I practice every single day? I did my time when I was working towards a degree. There's also only so much you can read about being a divorce attorney. No, I don't read poetry in my spare time or go to wine tastings with my fellow lawyer friends. In fact I'm not friends with any current lawyers. I hardly speak to my co-workers because I'm doing exactly what they aren't; working. I don't have smart friends at all, not that they're stupid, or at least I wouldn't say it so bluntly. I drink beers with my muscle head friends just like any other guy. I'm not fascinated by star signs or literature or politics and current affairs. But, the ladies like to think I am, and it does help. I carry on telling her about my mundane day, saying I met up with some friends, had a barbecue, but the fact is, I wasn't with my friends like I usually am on Saturdays. No, I was somewhere much more important, observing and noting what I wanted and how I was going to get it.

I usually despise small talk - it tends to make me downright nauseous, but Anna seems to make even the tiniest most normal conversations intriguing. Hell, at this point I think I would find anything she does entertaining. Just watching her puts me at ease. She has this calmness about her that makes me feel as though I have finally found my home. And I have searched for such a long time, for a person to feel like home.

"So," I say, I don't want to bring up the topic that I have been trying to get rid of the entire evening, but of course I have to at some point. It's in my job description. "How are things going with Victor?"

She suddenly seems uneasy, which is a natural reaction, "It was weird seeing him today. Being with all of our friends but not being us. I don't think either of us knew how to act today. I'm doing some house hunting this week, so hopefully I will find what I'm looking for." Is she still living with him? That would be terribly unpleasant. For both of us. "I can't stay in Michelle's guest room forever." I feel a sense of relief, "As much as I love Kelly, there's only so much Barney I can bear to have infiltrate my ears."

I laugh. On top of everything, she even has a good sense of humour . The whole package. Then again, I shouldn't invest so much of myself into someone else, at least not so quickly. I don't have the best track record when it comes to keeping a woman around.