BONUS: Molecules

Hi guys! I can't believe that this story is almost at 2k reads already! As a little thank you, I'm going to post up this small bonus for you! Y'all have been wondering what Henry was thinking all this time, so here's a snippet of it.

I don't usually pay much attention to bodies until they are long cold, but this one is fascinating. The way each atom moves around it captivates me. The intricate dance of carbon dioxide, water vapour, nitrogen and oxygen within his lungs lights him up from within. The dragonskin is also a dancing shimmer of particles that make it difficult for me to look away for long.

I have never seen a dragon while it is still alive before, and though I know everything I need to about them, to see one actually in the wild is fascinating. To be close to one for an extended period of time, to be continuously sought out, well, it is a treat.

I switch to my mortal eyes for a moment, wiping the veneer of darkness from my features in order to see what he looks like to others of his kind. Long hair, white-blond, hanging down his back in a straight, glossy wave. Eyes, bright, vibrant, surrounded by dark eyelashes. A straight nose and a thin, defined face.

Even as mortals go, he is beautiful.

I don't think I'll ever grow bored of looking at him, though I know that in comparison to me, his time on this planet will be short.

Oh, and he's enraged at me again.

I believe the term that humans use is 'oops'.

"Henry! Are you listening to me?!" Jax asks, folding his arms. "I'm trying to tell you about something serious!"

I drop the human facade and give him what I hope is a sheepish smile. Smiles are the most difficult to get right, I've found. It is so easy to overshoot them and use too many teeth.

"I am listening, Special Agent Hedge," I reassure him.

He huffs out, and I watch a small ember escape his parted lips, dancing through the space between us.

How utterly delightful.