Perfectly Imperfect

"There you are, honey! I was almost ready to send out a search party!"

Suzi grinned, giving her mom a kiss as soon as she reached their table. Mom looked lovely as ever, the never-greying auburn hair tied in a neat side plait. Suzi herself had had a few silver strands lately. She blamed it on the multiple all-nighters she'd pulled when rushing her final year dissertation only ten weeks ago. Cassidy, her mom's water cooler bestie from work, rose to give Suzi a kiss on the cheek, too. They'd bagged Mom's favorite corner table right next to the music box where they could have first dibs on the next song. Judging from the crumbs and empty plates on the table, they'd enjoyed their way through brunch already. Suzi hadn't seen Mom in several weeks, having set herself this dating mission since the start of the month.

"You look radiant as ever, Suzi," said Cassidy with a smile that lit up her piercing blue eyes. "And that dress! Gorgeous!"

Suzi smoothed her polka dot swing dress, placing her scarlet purse on her lap as she sat. The halterneck showed off the x-wing tattoo on her left shoulder and her summer tan in all its glory.

"I hear you've finished college now, at last," said Cassidy, leaning forward. Her teeth gleamed white against her crimson lips. "Enjoying your freedom?"

"My last month of it," Suzi said honestly. Her mom flagged down a waiter. Suzi only ordered a cappucino; she still felt a bit hungover from the copious amount of wine she needed for last night after the date with the weird cosplayer. No amount of alcohol could wash the bizarre away -- nor the ick factor. "I've got some interviews lined up for August and September. Just hoping someone will take me. I'll do anything!" she added with a grin.

"You think Marcus can set Suzi up with anything?" Mom said. Suzi blanched.

"Seriously?" Cassidy snickered. "Are you looking for a date or a job interview for Suzi, Mara?"

Suzi pressed her lips together as Mom's cheeks reddened.

"I'm just--"

"There you are!" Cassidy's attention suddenly switched to behind Suzi. Suzi sucked in a breath, bracing herself for the twenty-fifth date. "What took you so long?"

"Had to tidy up some stuff at the shelter first, sorry," came a smiling voice. Suzi swivelled, turning her head up to meet the same piercing blue eyes as Cassidy's, framed with long black lashes. Thick, curly dark brown hair stuck up in tufts above his head. He wore a collared shirt, unbuttoned at the top, and simple jeans. The family photos Mom sent Suzi didn't do him justice. "Hi, Mom. Hi, Mrs. Sparrow."

Cassidy kissed Marcus on the cheek. Suzi's mom shook hands with Marcus. Finally, Suzi stood up. Marcus's grip was firm, his hands soft, and he met her eyes with steady confidence. He smelled faintly of cinnamon. His smile had a natural quirk on the left side and he had the faintest of stubble on his chin. Suzi couldn't convince herself she wasn't stealing second or third glances. Or fourth.

Cassidy introduced Suzi and Suzi's mom. Marcus ordered a latte and said he'd eaten earlier. Suzi had hoped he wouldn't be a coffee without milk and sugar kind of guy. Those seemed to bring the most arrogance and boring conversation. She leaned forward with anticipation when his coffee arrived to see him dump two spoons of sugar in his drink.

"What have you been up to this summer so far, Marcus? Work kept you busy?" Suzi's mom said.

"Well..." He took a sip of his coffee and gave a satisfied sigh before answering. "I'm an elementary school teacher, so school's out for summer vacation. It's just been planning lessons with next year's curriculum and some teacher training days. My days have been quite blissfully empty."