Chapter Two

Thunderclouds came and stayed for the formidable night. Lyonisia tossed and turned in bed, trying to grasp a wink of sleep.

To no luck.

She'd been awake for hours, or what seemed like hours for her. She'd thought of it, but never mustered up the courage to do it.

Tonight would be the night.

The princess hastily made her way to where she kept her bow. The fire crackled inside its stone cage, burning slowing against the wood that kept it alive. She reached for her arrows and stuffed them in her bag, swinging it over her shoulder. She grabbed her cloak and snuck down the hall, awaiting for any night guards to catch her and take her back to her room. Thankfully, there were none, and Lyonisia went down to the kitchen. A small flame could be seen from the doorway.

And a woman's humming.

"Who in their right mind would be up this early?" Lyonisia whispered. The humming sounded familiar.

Almost like what she'd fall asleep to every night.

"No need to worry dear. It's me," The familiar voice spoke.

"Lady Scarlet?" Lyonisia peered her head through the doorway. The old woman was there, cooking away, without making a sound.

"How did yo-"

"I can sense your presence dear. Come, taste this," She chirped, turning around while holding a pie. It smelled delectable. Lady Scarlet's cooking had always been Lyonisia's favorite, while Hamond seemed to dislike it.

The princess sat down at the table as the woman handed her a slice. The fragrant aroma of sweet apples and berries filled her nose as she dug in.

"By Dalia, this is fantastic Lady Scarlet! How come you've never made this before?" The princess said, with her mouth full of the pastry.

"I only make this kind of dessert for special occasions. Like for your little adventure tonight," Lady Scarlet winked at the princess.

"What? What adventure?"

The old woman nodded towards Lyonisia's bag on the ground, stifling a laugh.

"Oh. That adventure. You know me so well, Lady Scarlet. But, I may ask, how did you make this without the clanging of pots and pans around?"

"All you need to know, is that little candle can do so much more than just provide light, my dear," Lady Scarlet hands the glowing flame to the princess. She takes it and nods.

"You think I can do it, Lady Scarlet? I mean, no one's been out of the castle in years, besides Hamond. I'm afraid I might get caught up in something that could ruin the kingdom," Lyonisia stares at the candle. Its emitting light radiating a wave of energy inside her. The old woman places a hand of her shoulder and nods reassuringly.

"King Richmond, will be far more greater and powerful than his low down brother will ever be. He taught you to be courageous, Lyonisia. His sense of dignity and determination is what built this kingdom. And you are his daughter. I can see that his strength has been passed down onto you, and that you're destined to take back the throne as Queen," Lady Scarlet caresses Lyonisia's cheek, wiping a fallen tear with her thumb.

"You've always believed in me. Ever since I was born. Your support makes the rest of this castle look like a dump. Thank you, Lady Scarlet," The two embrace in a hug.

"I'll always be looking over you dear. Now run along. And don't forget to take some pie and the candle with you."

And with that, Lyonisia made her way to the front gate.