14.

Ennis beat Jack back to camp, dropping the firewood into the pile by the fire pit. The other campers were standing around talking. None of them even glanced Ennis's way, but Ennis felt like he was being watched. He didn't feel guilt for what he and Jack had done. He wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. No, he just felt fear that someone had caught them. Was that what the other campers were talking about? He and Jack had been hidden in the bushes and against a tree, but they had still been out in the open.

For some reason, the thought of them being out in the open while doing it was making Ennis excited again. Out in the middle of nowhere was where he thrived; where he could be himself. He felt more free in nature when he knew no one was around. If the other students and teachers weren't around...

Ennis broke out of his thoughts as Jack walked past Ennis and over to the others, chatting with them. Ennis sat down on a log by the fire, keeping his eyes away from Jack. If he looked at Jack, he would only think about what he had done and that would probably be obvious on his face and then everyone would know. And if they knew, what would happen to Jack? What would Ennis's dad do?

Suddenly feeling sick at his stomach, Ennis stood up and walked away from camp. No one else seemed to notice. At that moment, he welcomed the feeling of being invisible. It was better than thinking that everyone was judging him for what he and Jack had been doing. If someone knew, they would approach him. And if not him, then his dad. He couldn't imagine the hell he would go through if his dad caught word of anything. Ennis tried to empty his thoughts of everything as he walked, thinking of nothing. He breathed in the evening air and imagined himself becoming one with nature.

———————————

Jack was talking with the other teachers when he noticed Ennis get up and leave. He glanced around to see if anyone else had noticed, but no one had. He kept his eye on Ennis until Ennis was out of view. He couldn't stop thinking about what had just happened. The way Ennis had plowed into him. Jack's ass was a bit sore from it, but he knew how to hide that sort of thing. He would gladly suffer that soreness again and again if it was because of Ennis. That kid sure knew how to fuck for being an awkward and shy virgin. Ennis was more of a man than any other man Jack had been with.

"He's an odd one, that Del Mar," one of the teachers said, obviously noticed where Jack had been looking. "It's nice that you're lookin' out for 'im. That boy surely needs it." He picked up a canteen and drank from it.

"He seems like he can take care of himself," Jack said, looking over at the teacher. The others had moved off to get things ready for the coming meal. Some of the kids were heading over to the lake to fish. He resisted the urge to look off in the direction Ennis had gone. There was only one reason he had even come on this trip.

The teacher looked over at Jack and lowered his voice some. "You've taken a fancy to 'im, I can see that," he said. The look he gave Jack said he knew something or at least suspected. "I ain't tellin' nobody. I'd fuck 'im too."

"I-I don't know what you're talkin' 'bout-"

The teacher smirked. "Ya don't have to pull the dumb act 'round me, Twist," he said. "If anyone suspects anything happening, you're not involved. Ya didn't hear it from me, but his little girlfriend Alma? Her daddy thinks he's some queer that's tryin' to infect his perfect little angel. He's only goin' along with their courtin' because it satisfies her momma."

"You shouldn't listen to rumors," Jack said. "It ain't healthy."

"Who said it was rumors?"

"Who's spreadin' that kinda thing around?"

"Alma's other boyfriend," the teacher said. "Probably just tryin' to get her to dump Ennis so he can move in for real. If I didn't notice the way he acts around you, I wouldn't have listened to them rumors."