Chapter 7. Unexpected Changes

~Teri chahato me kitna tadpe hai,
Sawan bhi kitne tujh bin barse hai!
Jindagi me meri sari, jo bhi kami thi,
Tere aajane se ab nhi rahi! ~

The Morning came all painful for Anurag who was struggling to open his eyes, his head blasting as he tried to flicker his eyes open and a cry for his mother left his mouth when he finally woke up, disoriented and in lot of pain. So when a soft hand forwarded him a tablet and some water he didn't look to see who it was, it didn't matter to him because he couldn't even keep his eyes open with so much pain.

"K bolechilo? Who told you to drink if you can't handle it?", When Mannat's voice echoed in his ears, gently reprimnading him, Anurag was sure he was dreaming.

Mannat talking to him? Voluntarily? And softly?

Yeah, definitely dreaming.

But when a cup of strong black coffee was handed to him, and he gulped it down, finally feeling like earth was revolving on its normal speed, Anurag flinched to see Mannat hovering over him, fretting and mumbling under her breath.

To say he was shocked would be an understatement. His mind didn't agree to what his eyes. Was post hangover hallucinations a thing?

Mannat looked at him squinting his eyes at her, totally oblivious of what she was saying. He was looking, in one word, cute, so cute that she couldn't help but smile.

"Anurag!! Go and take a shower. I have turned the geyser on!", she spoke again, and bent to fold the covers when she felt Anurag trying to poke her with his finger. She turned her head and glared at him.

"How can you be here? Why would you be here? Anurag, you are day dreaming again, certainly!", he slapped his forehead and shook his head, "Mannat Kaur Khurrana, fretting over me? Definitely hangover!!!".

He got up and with wobbly steps entered the washroom, unaware of the chaos he had caused in a certain someone's heart. She felt very bad at his words and she couldn't understand why.

He was okay with another lady helping him to bed but doubting her, his best friend? Okay, ex best friend but friend?

A voice in her heart told him it wasn't his fault. It was hers. She had made him feel like this could not happen, her caring for him would not happen.

Exhaling deep, she resumed her work, made his bed and was about to move down when his phone started ringing. Her first instinct was to go anyway, but a major part of her was itching to check if it was the woman from last night? Was it Seher?

Turned out, it wasn't. It was Mishi, his cousin sister. Mannat didn't think twice before accepting the call, and smiled as she heard Mishi's voice.

"Dada, suncho? I need help. Convince Maa I am old enough to go for a picnic!!", Mishi cribbed but stopped when she heard a feminine chuckle. Gripping her phone tight, she breathlessly guessed.

"Boudi?", Mannat answered in affirmative and told her that her dear Dada was in shower and that she would let him know. She also questioned if she would like her to talk to her mother if it was urgent. A bitter laugh was her answer, for Mishi was possessive and protective about her dear brother.

"Sorry Boudi, I would have loved that if you were actually my boudi. I also wanted a sister-in-law to pamper me, to go shopping with, to discuss serials with, you know? I would have loved to do that with you, but you aren't my sister-in-law, not until I can trust you with my brother's happiness, and in the past four months, I don't think he had anyone to care for that, like before since his parents died. So, no you can't talk to my mother for me!", before Mannat could reply or find her voice again, the call was disconnected.