00. kopiya

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

the butterfly effect
part one, the winter soldier
prologue, kopiya

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        1989 WAS A SUBSTANTIAL year for many reasons

        1989 WAS A SUBSTANTIAL year for many reasons. It was the year George H W Bush was inaugurated as President; the year of the first successful liver transplant; the year Bobby Brown topped the charts with My Prerogative; the year of Die Hard, Beetlejuice; the year the Berlin Wall fell; the year of Quinn McCormick's 25th birthday; the last year of her life.

A golden glow of morning sunlight lit the airfield before her, a light breeze accompanying it; it would have been tranquil if not for the deafening sounds of jet engines taking off and landing, but that was the sound that calmed her most. It reminded her that she was where she belonged.

Her aviator sunglasses rested gently on the bridge of her nose as she leaned against the wall of one the plane shelters, watching a couple of young airmen ready the plane for flying: Asis.

A soft meowing noise and the feeling of something furry winding its way around her legs caught her attention and caused her to spot the culprit; a ginger cat.

"Oh, so we're friends now, are we?" Quinn mused, arching a brow at the animal who'd always seemed to have a love-hate relationship with her.

With a soft chuckle, the pilot sank down to Goose's level and tentatively stroked the top of her head, as she purred loudly.

Perhaps, in hindsight, the cat was being so nice because it knew what would happen to her around fifteen minutes after this interaction.

"I hate to break it to you, Q, but Tom Cruise still pulls off aviators better than you."

Squinting a little as the sun caught her eyes over the rim of the glasses in question, Quinn looked up, her attention having been diverted from the cat now sprawled out at her feet, and was greeted with the trademark smirk of her friend, who proudly sported her own pair of aviators.