32 - Going, going

As their departure date loomed Leander's feeling of energetic optimism subsided to be replaced by dread. On the morning they were to leave he sat on the large book trunk by the door and spent several minutes attempting not to panic. What were they thinking? They didn't even have a plan. Not much of one.

"Maybe we should stay here," he suggested as Lissy passed through on her way upstairs. She paused.

"But we sent the parrot on to your sister." They had. Celia was delighted. "We can't turn back now."

"Only joking," he said, but he half wasn't. Lissy regarded him for a second, then bounded down the stairs to brush a kiss onto his hair.

"It'll be tremendous fun," she told him, crouching to meet his gaze with blue-eyed sparkle. The ringing doorbell interrupted his sigh. Lissy's brow quirked: they weren't expecting anyone, which was cause for Leander's stomach to jolt with nerves again. Possessing none of his qualms, Lissy swept open the door.

"Miss Harper?" It was a smart middle-aged woman sporting a livery ribbon of Tilly's family colours pinned to one lapel of her sombre outfit. She promptly handed over a letter before bowing and climbing up into a carriage which promptly moved off down the street.

"What on earth could Tilly have to say?" Lissy asked, peering around the doorframe to watch them go as she ripped open the seal. Coming to read over her shoulder, Leander saw a letter dashed off quickly in a hurried, ink-blot scrawl.

"She didn't take long to write it. I can hardly read..."

"She's gone off to her father's house in the country." A crease appeared in Lissy's brow and she pursed her lips. "Oh dear. Someone has exposed her scandal. I bet it was that awful footman. 'This letter must be in haste, my darling, for I will be gone by the time you are reading it. I cannot even spare time to cross the city to see you: I will send this letter on with my things after I have left. Tabitha has just told me there is a man at the door to see me, and she thinks he must either be a pressman or a lawyer for the slighted wife...' I doubt this will blow over any time soon."

"She must have left very, very quickly," Leander said, instead of what he wanted to say about how Tilly was getting her just desserts. The whole thing felt oddly final, as though it was a sign that it really was time for them to leave too.

Lissy blew air out of her cheeks and strode off into the depths of the house with a creased brow and the letter stillgripped in one hand. There was little for Leander to do but wait. To pass the time he prowled through the house, feeling that the rooms should look dejected and emptier.

The doorbell rang again, and he raced to the hallway. Waiting on the bottom step was a bored-looking coach driver, who showed an irritating lack of concern as Leander, now beginning to show his panic, passed him their luggage.

"You alright with that under your feet then? Bit of a squash. Could have sent a bigger coach if you'd let us know." They had let them know: Leander was both irritated and panicking now.

"It won't be a problem," he snapped, and hovered at the threshold of the house, waiting for Lissy. In his anxious state he put his sleeve in the wrong arm of his coat and attempted to rectify it without the coachman noticing.

Lissy appeared, glancing about cheerfully as if she were inspecting the house before a weekend away.

"Have you got-"

"Almost certainly. We've been so organised. Well, that's that then. Could you hold my bag for a moment whilst I put my hat on?"

He was silent as she sorted herself out in an unhurried fashion and then locked the door. Unexpectedly she leaned forwards to mutter something over it.