Chapter 44: Fighting For Love

~Hayley POV~

Hayley continued walking past Elijah's memories before stopping in front of the one door she had hoped she would never see.

"Not the red door. Please don't be in the red door."

She hesitantly opened the door and entered the darkened hell hole. Dead bodies were scattered around the whole place and finally she came across him, feeding on an innocent.

"Elijah." She called out. "I'm here to help you."

He discarded the body he had been feeding on and stood up, leading Hayley to believe that he wasn't here. She turned away but he was now standing right in front of her.

"Elijah. Hey." She said nervously. "Elijah wake up! It's me!" She began backing away but each time, Elijah stalked menacingly towards her, getting increasingly closer and closer. "Elijah! Stop! STOP!"

She burst through the door and into the woods, with Elijah hot on her tail, praying that this was not how she would meet her end.

~Fiore POV~

Marcel held the last thorn in his hand before Rebekah sped and snatched it from his grasp, taking him by surprise.

"And that is the last one." She said examining it in her hand. "I suppose I should say thank you for your hard work."

"Don't make me fight you, Rebekah." Marcel told her.

"If you want this, you'll have to." She spat back. He dashed towards her, but she was more than prepared.

"Let it go." Marcel demanded.

"You know I won't." Rebekah told him. I prepared to pull the two apart only to be beaten to it by Nik.

"If you desire a weapon that can kill us, then you're a threat." My husband told him.

"That's just your paranoia! Not everything is a plot against you." Marcel shot back.

"Then why do you want the thorns at all?" I asked him. "I don't understand, you don't need them to kill an Original, so why would you want them in the first place? You can tell me Marcel."

"I can't tell you that right now." He told me.

"Why not?"

"There is a lot more at risk than just your family." He continued. "The magic in those thorns can save someone that I care about! You can burn the other ones, just give me that one!"

"What's her name?" Rebekah asked him and Nik and I immediately felt the devastation that dripped from Rebekah's voice. Nik turned to face his sister with a sympathetic look, and I pulled him away so that the other two could talk out their issue.

"Her name is Sofya." Marcel told her hesitantly. There was a long pause, and I didn't even have to see Rebekah's face to know that she was crumbling.

"There was a time when you would go to these lengths for me." Rebekah replied before holding out the thorns to him.

"Rebekah—" Nik began but his sister quickly silenced him.

"I know that look well." Rebekah said with a bittersweet smile. "He's fighting for love."

"When you're done saving your precious Sofya—" Nik said angrily.

"Yeah, of course." Marcel said quietly, his rage having been quelled by his interaction with Rebekah. "I'll burn it myself."

~Hayley POV~

Hayley continued to sprint through the woods, tears slapping at her face as she feared what Elijah would do to her, should he catch her.