Chapter 33

After a brief explanation of their current situation, Sam and Ruby sat in shock, and rightfully so. They exchanged some small talk over their meal, and after multiple hours spent in the restaurant, Kara and Lena decided to retire, but not before thanking Sam and Ruby for visiting, and emphasizing how they need to come into the city more often. However, Alex decided to stay behind, since the three of them were still having wonderful conversation about Ruby's new friends at school. At that, the young girl looked at her phone, and began to speak. "Oh mom, I forgot to tell you, but I mentioned to a couple of friends that I was going to be in town, and they wanted to hang out. It's just down the street, is it okay if I walk?" Sam looked at her, almost glaring, but not quite, and Alex wondered how she had mastered the look. She guessed that she had a lot of time to perfect it, since Ruby was well into her teen years. Before her mother could say anything though, Ruby retorted "I know I'm supposed to tell you about my plans, but it was pretty last minute. I'm sorry, but I miss my friends." She said in a practically pleading tone, and at that, Sam softened.

"Fine, but I need hourly updates." As sternly as she could, to let Ruby know that even though she was allowing it, she wasn't happy about it.

"Thank you so much mom, I promise I will keep you updated!" Elated she was as she hugged her mother and briskly ran out of the establishment and down the street. Sam watched her as she went with the worried look in her eyes that only a mother can achieve.

Seeing this, and knowing her friend, Alex chimed in "I know you're worried, but she will be fine. It's just a couple of friends.". As Sam turned to face her, Alex flashed her a sideways smile of reassurance, and she returned it.

"I know, but I just worry. Ever since all of the Reign stuff, I have just been so preoccupied with keeping her safe. I can't stop having nightmares about all of the stuff that could have happened to her." As she talked, Sam rubbed her forehead roughly with her hand, feeling a headache coming on and desperately trying to massage it away, to no avail.

Alex took her remaining hand that was laying on the table into her own, another act of reassurance. "But nothing bad ever did happen. You can't blame yourself, and you know that. You aren't Reign anymore, and you will never be her again."

Resigning to her reassurance, Sam sighed. "You're right. And I have you to thank for keeping my baby safe. I know we moved really quickly after the whole debacle, so I never got to properly thank you for that. So, here and now, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you Alex, for keeping her safe." Sam looked so deeply at Alex, and at that, both the women felt their hearts skip a beat.

Letting go of her hand, for the moment was over, Alex replied a little shakily "Oh yeah, of course. I thought of her as my own for a little bit there. I wouldn't have let anyone touch a hair on her head."

"That's why I trusted you in the first place." Sam smiled unabashedly at the woman across the table, and she felt the joy again. Not of making small talk, but of being with someone she truly cared about once again.

The two kept talking for hours, only being able to keep track of the time because of Ruby's hourly updates (That girl really did stick to her word.). Eventually, since they were taking up table space, they decided to go back to Alex's apartment to have a couple of beers. Once Ruby was done seeing her friends, Sam was already on her third beer and in no shape to drive them home, so they got a hotel, and stayed the night in the city. Once Sam was gone, Alex laid in bed smiling after the day, with her only regret being that she didn't ask them to stay the night at her place.