31. another attack

     BY THE NEXT MORNING, THE SNOW THAT had begun in the night had turned into a blizzard so thick that the last Herbology lesson of term was canceled: Professor Sprout wanted to fit socks and scarves on the Mandrakes, a tricky operation she would...

     BY THE NEXT MORNING, THE SNOW THAT had begun in the night had turned into a blizzard so thick that the last Herbology lesson of term was canceled: Professor Sprout wanted to fit socks and scarves on the Mandrakes, a tricky operation she would entrust to no one else, now that it was so important for the Madrakes to grow quickly and revive Mrs Norris and Colin Creevey.

Harry fretted about this as the four of them were sitting in front of the fireplace in the Gryffindor Common Room. Harper was watching Ron absolutely destroy Hermione in a game of wizard chess.

"For heaven's sake, Harry," Hermione said, exasperated, as one of Ron's bishops wrestled her knight off his horse and dragged him off the board. "Go and find Justin if it's so important to you."

"I'll go with you," Harper said, standing up. "Ron's going to win anyway, no offense, Hermione."

"None taken," she muttered under her breath.

Harper followed Harry through the portrait hole and down the staircase. The castle was darker than it usually was in daytime, because of the thick, swirling grey snow at every window. Shivering, the two of them walked past classrooms where lessons were taking place, catching snatches of what was happening within.

Professor McGonagell was shouting at someone who, by the sound of it, had turned his friend into a badger. Harper wanted to take a look but Harry pulled her with him to the library.

A group of Hufflepuffs who should have been in Herbology were sitting at the back of the library, but they didn't seem to be working. Between the long lines of high bookshelves, Harper could see that their heads were close together and they were having what looked like an absorbing conversation. She was about to walk towards them when Harry pulled her with him into the Invisibility section and listened to their conversation.

"So anyway," a stout boy was saying, "I told Justin to hide up in our dormitory. I mean to say, if Potter's marked him down as his next victim, it's best if he keeps a low profile for a while. Of course, Justin's been waiting for something like this to happen ever since he let slip to Potter he was a Muggle-born. Justin actually told him he'd been down for Eton. That's not the kind of thing you bandy about with Slytherin's heir on the loose, is it?"