32. the polyjuice potion

     THE DOUBLE ATTACK ON JUSTIN AND Nearly Headless Nick turned what had been nervousness into real panic

     THE DOUBLE ATTACK ON JUSTIN AND Nearly Headless Nick turned what had been nervousness into real panic. Curiously, it was Nearly Headless Nick's fate that seemed to worry people most. What could possibly do that to a ghost, people asked each other; what terrible power could harm someone who was already dead? There was almost a stampede to book seats on the Hogwarts Express so that students could go home for Christmas.

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron said. "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle. What a jolly holiday it's going to be."

Grabbed and Goyle, who always did whatever Malfoy did, had signed up to stay over the holidays too. But Harper was glad most people were leaving. She was tired of people skirting around Harry in the corridors.

Fred and George, however, found all this very funny. They went out of their way to march ahead of Harry down the corridor, shouting.

"Make way for the heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through . . ."

Percy was deeply disapproving of this behavior.

"It is not a laughing matter," he said coldly.

"Oh, get out of the way, Percy," Fred said. "Harry's in a hurry."

"Yeah, he's nipping off to the Chamber of Secrets for a cup of tea with his fanged servant," George added, chortling. Harper'd laugh at this and silently thank them for making it so ridiculous. 

However, Ginny didn't find it amusing either.

"Oh, don't," she sailed every time Fred asked Harry loudly who he was planning to attack next, or George pretended to ward Harry off with a large clove of garlic when they met.

Harper noticed that Harry didn't mind; she knew it made him feel better that Fred and George, at least, though the idea of him being Slytherin's heir was quite ridiculous. But their antics seemed to be aggravating Draco, who looked increasingly sour each time he saw them at it.

"It's because he's bursting to say it's really him," Ron said knowingly. "You know he hates everyone beating him at anything, and you're getting all the credit for his dirty work."