Falling Into You...

"Dad, let me help!" I rushed over and helped him organize some groceries into the fridge and cupboards.

"So how did your first day go?"

"It... went well," I smiled and my father pointed out my cut. "This? I just cut it accidentally while moving some boxes"

"Just boxes?" I nodded and after we were done, we sat in front of one another at the kitchen table.

"How was Hari today?"

"Her blood work is stable.  So she will be able to come home in a few days, like we planned," I smiled. 

"Should I meet your boss? I can bring him some-"

"No, no! Dad, it's perfectly fine..." was that too obvious? My father looked at me, a little stunned.

"Well, why wouldn't they want some homemade-"

"I just started, you know... just give it a few weeks, that's all I mean," I rubbed the back of my head... who knows how long I would be able to keep this a secret for.

I could have just told him, but my father has always been against me pursuing bodyguard jobs. His limit of 'danger' for me would be minimal security work at a mall or at a small office. I understood that he didn't want me to experience any violence, but those were the higher paying jobs...

"Alright... but not too long..." he said, while standing up. He walked past me and gently touched the top of my shoulder. "If you get tired, make sure to let me know..."

My father would be busy until this weekend, so I told him I would take his evening classes. These were for advanced Taekwondo practitioners. I used this as an opportunity to spar and continue training with the small group. Even though he worried about me, it was something I didn't see as tiring. It was just more time to train my body and mind...

Besides, for some odd reason, Mr.Chae's face would appear in my mind... and I felt like it would be a good distraction...

Later that night I called Hari. 

After our talk, I went to bed. I wanted to get up earlier to jog and train a little more in the dojang...

*

My alarm went off at 5am.

I quietly slipped into my shorts and zip-up windbreaker before top-toeing to the front of the house. I put on my runners and then started playing my music on my phone, which I slipped into one of my pockets.

At the sound of the first song, I quietly opened and closed the door. Then I stretched a little before heading out.

Starting slowly, and then picking up my pace.

It had been a while since I went on an extended run... and it was exhilarating. All the pent up stress I had was now vanishing. I could feel the solid surface of the sidewalk hit against my feet and it felt reassuring. I was on a solid foundation...

I don't know how much time had passed, but when I came back home, it was close to 6am. I was panting, feeling the depths of my chest. In and out... rhythmically...

I walked inside my house and went to our bathroom. I slipped out of the sticky, sweaty clothing that was clinging to my body. I jumped into the shower and felt the cool water overwhelm my body.

After ten minutes, I felt fresher and got out of the shower. I wrapped the towel around my waist and opened the door. I crept over to my room to change into my suit.

Day 2... just like any other day, right?

I had some breakfast before driving off. I had to commute about 40 minutes every morning. Depending on the traffic it could be longer, but I would be on time.

When I got to the office, it was just after 8:30am. The building didn't start its operations until 9, so I decided to take a better tour around the company since I didn't get much of a chance to yet. I studied the floor plan a bit for an exit strategy, but it would be better to see them in person....

While doing so, I greeted some of the security staff on various levels of the business. We made some small talk, and I asked them questions about which staircases were better to use for 'X' situation and they seemed receptive to the 'mission: impossible,' style I had going on for the President. I just thought it was being efficient....

When it was getting closer to 9am, I walked over to the elevator to take me up to the President's office. There, Minah was waiting. She was with a quiet man...

"Hyunwoo!! Morning!" I nodded towards her and she grabbed the person's arm next to her. He didn't seem startled, he was just looking at the ground? "I'd like to introduce you to Jaehyung!"

I slightly bowed towards him and he followed suit.

"He's our leading game developer... " Minah smiled as she spoke. She looked like a proud younger sister talking about her brother. I smiled and nodded. When Jaehyung looked up, I saw how his bangs were fallen into his face. He also had oversized glasses on.

"It's nice to meet you," I said and Jaehyung nodded. The elevator's bell rang and we all stepped in.

"I'm so excited for your welcome party. Boss said he'll pay" I turned to her surprised.

"Mr.Chae did?"

"Didn't you see the messages?" I looked at her confused and she sighed. She then leaned forward. I tried moving back. 

"Let me see your phone," Jaehyung was looking away.

"Minah, this is..."

"A little much? But I just want to get to know you!" while distracted, she took my phone. She giggled and then 'tsk'ed' me. I was a little stunned. First, she takes my phone and now this? 

"You don't have a password?" Jaehyung seemed a little interested now, peering ahead and looking down at my phone.

"What? I just don't have anything to hide... and it's annoying to have to open it up everytime-- why am I telling you this?" I tried leaning in again and she laughed, ducking down. I accidentally leaned too far and Jaehyung broke my fall.

When the elevator came to a stop, it opened and there were two people standing there: the President and Mr. Seong.