Chapter Three: The Fates

The moment that the pre-dawn haze appeared in the sky, Demeter took Kora and left Olympus for a new home on Earth.

The stakes were too high, and the Olympians could not be trusted. After the prophecy was delivered, she had already heard Hermes and Apollo discussing what her power might mean to her husband, making half-jokes about who would be the first to abduct the girl and marry her when she was grown. Demeter needed them to forget that her daughter had ever existed.

Artemis and Hestia had suggested a life of eternal maidenhood for Kora. Demeter had been hesitant, but now it was out of her hands. Whoever cast the curse had made that decision for her.

Thanks to Artemis, she had found a secluded place far from any mortal settlements: a series of lush meadows, bordered by a fresh stream on one side and a thick forest on the other. The forest was a personal favourite of Artemis', one of her preferred places for hunting and bathing without the interruption of mortals.

Demeter summoned the nymphs of the area to be Persephone's companions and protectors – nymphs of the flowers, water and trees were sworn to her service, and she extracted promises from them that no man, mortal or immortal, would ever be within sight of her daughter. Strict instructions were given: Kora was to remain innocent and childish for eternity. She was to know nothing of humans, men, other gods, or anything outside of their cloistered little paradise. Most importantly, the Underworld was a strictly forbidden subject; Demeter was determined that the curse would not become a self-fulfilling one.

Their promises were not enough – she still couldn't shake the fear that they would be found, or that Kora would be sought out for her powers. She cast charms around the area to make them less discoverable: protections that would make mortals forget why they were there, and fill them with a strong desire to get away. There was little she could do to keep the gods away besides keeping a low profile.

The only way to deter the gods, she decided, would be to limit Kora's powers, make her a less desirable prospect. It broke Demeter's heart, even as she considered it. She wanted her daughter to grow and to thrive – placing a bind on her soul went against every maternal instinct. But if she could prevent Kora from becoming powerful enough to be a target, keep her daughter from an eternity of servitude in the Underworld and keep her safe from the shadowy abductor of the prophecy, it would be worth it.

It had to be done.

Demeter completed the ritual alone, while Kora slept. It cost her huge reserves of her own powers, leaving her depleted for weeks to follow, but it was worth it. She knew that her worshippers would restore her power reserves over time, but for now, her baby was safe. Her soul bound, her powers limited, and hidden from the mortals – Demeter had done all she could.

Artemis was a regular visitor to their new home. She couldn't help but notice Demeter's exhaustion – she looked drawn, and seemed worn out by a simple conversation. Frowning in concern, she laid a hand on her friend's arm during one afternoon visit, "Are you alright, Demeter? I'm worried that motherhood is too hard on you, along with your duties to the mortals. Are the nymphs neglecting you?"

"I'm fine. The nymphs are very good to us." Demeter gave a weak smile of reassurance, that had quite the opposite effect to what she intended. Her aura had dulled. Her cornflower-blue eyes seemed feverish and sunken, too bright in a face drained of all colour. Even her lips were pale.

"Forgive me for saying so, but you're not yourself."

"No, really. Motherhood is a joy, and my duties are light at this time of year." Artemis gave her a hard stare, one that told her she would not rest until she knew the truth. She flinched slightly, "It's just – I..."