Chapter 16

Drew

"Where the hell is she?" Will roared. It seemed like he circled the island in the kitchen a hundred times already. Lauren hadn't come home last night and the only person freaking out was Will.

"Oh, Will," Cat said smiling. "Why are you acting like this is new?"

He turned to Cat with eyes wide and said,"It is new. The last time this happened was because of you and I don't think it a coincidence that she has one of her 'vacations' while you're here!"

"Are you serious?" Cat questioned with a shrill voice. "I have nothing to do with this. Lauren has her own conscience. You know what? Maybe I'm just corrupting her from afar."

"Maybe!" Will yelled.

"Guys!" I yelled. "Could you just try and cooperate so we can find her?"

The two turned to face each other before Cat grimaced and mumbled, "She isn't lost. I know where she is."

Lauren

I was sprawled out onto the mattress with the comforter burying me when I looked up groggily. I jerked up when I noticed that Trey wasn't next to me.

I threw the sheets off of me and got down from the bed stepping on a figure.

"Argh!" I heard.

I gasped,"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Trey sat up and scratched his head full of soft curls. "Why are you sleeping on the floor?" I asked settling back onto the bed.

He stumbled across the room to grab a shirt. His abdominals glistened from the weak rays of light penetrating the window pane.

"Because," he started,"it's so comfy."

I gave a weak laugh and he chuckled. Once he slid on his shirt he walked towards me and sat on the bed. "I never thought of you as the kind to run away from problems."

I gazed into his familiar green eyes before I turned away and said, "Well, things have changed..."

He frowned and I could feel his eyes burning holes into me but I refused to face him.

"Are you gonna tell me...what's with you? Are you...?"

He was referring to the me that spent months falling into the hole that I dug for myself. With every drug I took, a shoveful of dirt was put aside.

"Better," I said, "I'm getting better."

"And you coming to me..."

"Means nothing," I said a little louder than I wanted. I glanced at Trey who was still watching me carefully.

"Does he know?" he asked.

He? Meaning Drew?

"There's a 'he', right? That's the reason why you huddled in the corner of the mattress before I got off and won't talk about us...?"

"I--" I started. I didn't notice that I did any of those things but as he stared at me I could see something reflecting in his eyes. Was it hurt? Lust?

"I should get going," I said picking up my belongings. My sweatshirt was slung across the night table behind Trey. I prepared to get it when I noticed how bare my legs felt. I looked down and confirmed my suspicions. I must have been to hot for sweats yesterday.

I sighed. Trey noticed my distress and lazily said,"Don't worry. I won't look." I hurried around him to grab my pants and sweatshirt when I heard a door open.

I turned around to see Drew and Cat standing in the doorway.

"I found her." Cat said with her head cocked up in satisfaction. She then turned to Trey and said,"Nice to see you again."

Trey turned away avoiding her gaze. I watched as Drew stood with a look of disappointment aimed at me. Heat rushed to my face as I remembered my hot pink panties and bare legs. The bed was ruffled and undone. I wondered what he was thinking.

"Come on, Lauren. Chop, chop," Cat said still smiling. I was a statue as I followed with frigid bones caused by the embarrassment and shame I felt.

***

I rode in the back of the car with my pants on. I gazed out the window not looking at anything particular when Cat asked, "Are you feeling okay, Lauren?"

She was right beside me while Will and Drew were in the front.

"You aren't feel a little dizzy or high?"

My eyes widened but before I could say anything Will said,"Cat," in a warning tone.

"I think we're all just a bit curious. Will? Drew...? You'd like to know, right?"

"Cat," Drew said,"Could you please just stop?"

Cat stared at him in surprise, narrowed her eyes then said, "Fine. Surely Lauren has a headache anyways."

Drew

The rest of the ride was calm and soon we were at the Gray's house. We all shuffled out of the car with Will and Cat nearing the front door.

Lauren got out and when she saw me she tried to pass me.

"Hey," I said grabbing her attention.

"What?" she answered.

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"I should ask you the same thing," she said.

"What--"

"You didn't tell me you have a kid," she said with wide eyes.

"Who told you that?" I asked.

"It's mother," she practically growled.

"Alison? How did--"

"My brother's a few feet away. I can't talk about this, okay?" she said before she stormed away. I sighed and watched her catch up with her siblings before I trudged behind.

When I entered the house, I exhaled and ruffled my hair still pondering over my brief conversation with Lauren. I looked up and caught Will eying me suspiciously. Behind him Lauren disappeared up the stairs with Cat following. The accusing look in his eyes vanished and he turned to open the fridge.

"Do you want a drink?" he asked waving around his water bottle.

"Sure," I said before he handed one to me.

"You know Cat and Lauren used to be best friends," Will said taking a swig of his drink.  "I was the third wheel." He chuckled then frowned.  "They were my sisters and now I can't recognize either of them."

"They just have a lot going on," I said.  "I can't recognize myself sometimes..."

"What happened at the hospital?" Will asked.

I remembered the conversation I had with the doctor and the woman who I now knew was a representative from psych. I didn't know how to break down the topic into something more understandable.

Then I said,"They wanna commit her."

As soon as I said it I realized how absurd it sounded.

"They think she's crazy."

Author's Note:

A double update for you guys. Be sure to comment and/or vote. I enjoy hearing your thoughts or even suggestions for future chapters. A bientot! See you soon.

-crèmedelaoreo