Chapter Nine

Dr. O'Fallon? I repeated that three times. Dr. O'Fallon. Dr. O'Fallon. Dr. O'Fallon. Until it hit me.

"You...you are Mr. Hawk's father," I choked out. "Adoptive father."

His eyes widened, and he adjusted his glasses. "Margie, I have no idea how you know that. I never told anyone that. The only ones who know besides me are my sons."

"Well, how do you know my name? And which son? Mr. Hawk? Dr. Maxwell? Or your biological son, Dr. O'Connor?"

His hands began shaking, and I assumed that it was because he was nervous. "I-I have seen you before. Remember book four? You and some others kept rushing in and out of this hospital. Also...h-how do you know about my sons?"

"Mr. Hawk told me."

"Mitchell? Then that means that...he is still here. He is still in Forlot!"

"Yeah. He is in here. Right now. In the hospital."

His mouth dropped open. "You are kidding me."

"I am not."

He leaned over and gently gripped my shoulders. "Are you...his daughter?"

"Um, it depends on what you think."

"What I think?"

"Yes. My sister—"

"You have a sister?"

I nodded and pointed a finger at Scarlett. "She is right over there."

Dr. O'Fallon took a look at Scarlett, and then back at me. "Go back to what you were saying. Before I interrupted you. Also, put your arm down. You are not holding anything."

I looked behind me...and saw that nobody was there.

Ava was gone.

I slowly lowered my arm to my side. "B-but..."

"Margie, you need to tell me," Dr. O'Fallon said. "Why would it make any difference that you and your beloved sister are my son's daughters?"

"They were adopted...Dad."

I had neither called him my dad nor said that sentence, and Dr. O'Fallon knew that. He let go of my shoulders and spun around.

Mr. Hawk was standing in the waiting room. He had returned from seeing Margaret.

"Mitchell," Dr. O'Fallon said his son's first name.

"Dad," Mr. Hawk responded.